Door striker post reinforcing

-

plugger340

Reaction score
I hope to get the old 68 ragtop into the autobody shop this summer and I was wondering if I should get the door striker posts reinforced while it's in there. The posts appear to be in good shape and I don't see any cracks but I understand that the posts are a weakness with the Mopar A-bodies. Has anyone else reinforced this area just for peace of mind?

The usual reason for problems with the strikers is door alignment. If the door hinges are worn and the door drops the striker area takes the abuse . take the strikers off and close the door. Make sure it closes at the correct hieght. Then use the striker to hold the door shut only not for alignment. If this is done you shouldn't have any problem with the striker. For those that are cracked Tig welding them back is stronger then the way they were. Mig welds weaken the striker area. and make it brittle it will crack even faster.

Talk to these guys. They make and sell some cool stuff. wwwdynamicrenovation.net/

Mine were cracked but as mentioned by Oldmanmopar above the cause was worn hinges. So I guess my question is how worn out are you hinges??

Mine were cracked but as mentioned by Oldmanmopar above the cause was worn hinges. So I guess my question is how worn out are you hinges??

They seem okay as there doesn't seem to be any play when I try to lift up on the door when it's open. Or is there a better way of determining the health of my hinges?

If you swing the door all the way open you rotate the hindge out of the worn position.
The detent spring comes into play and hides the wear too.
Open the door just slightly and lift on it.
If the hindges havent been renewed you can bet the farm on comsiderable wear in the drivers door if not both doors.
I wish there was a good and simple way to reinforce the stricker mount.

Take the striker off close the door and see if it lines up. Or does the striker force the alignment. Easy to check. The door should be in perfect alignment when closed without the striker. I already readjusted door that were dropped for worn hinges so they would close correctly.

But a worn hinge sometimes won't seal the front of the door and it will stick out past the fender.

If you swing the door all the way open you rotate the hindge out of the worn position.
The detent spring comes into play and hides the wear too.
Open the door just slightly and lift on it.
If the hindges havent been renewed you can bet the farm on comsiderable wear in the drivers door if not both doors.

Thanks muchly ... learn something new everyday.

Make sure they do it right, I saw this on what the owner claimed was a "totally restored" perfect 340 Swinger. Once I saw this, I didn't trust any other work that might be hidden under the paint.

Attachments

• 462917028_o.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 198
hey that was a neat factory job on that dart, lol it must have came from that 70 s plant in japan right before they made everything plastic hahaha:violent1:

Make sure they do it right, I saw this on what the owner claimed was a "totally restored" perfect 340 Swinger. Once I saw this, I didn't trust any other work that might be hidden under the paint.

I dont see anything wrong with that repair.

-
Back