door weatherstrip help

-

66gldfish

Reaction score
Hello! I got a 66 barracuda that I recently had painted, and I put new weatherstripping on for the door, now i can't get the doors to close. Body guy says the weatherstrip is to thick,if you put the old ones back on, the doors close good. The seals are made by precision and i bought them 3 years ago so i can't send them back. Has anyone come across this before? Do i need to buy another brand? Any help or ideas would be surely be appreciated. Thanks! Oh and i did try to heat them up in the sun,but that didn't help either.

put a roll of clay where the gasket would go and close the door, thats what the gasket needs to become to seal. My trucks were gone so I used some (wrong) Ford Ranger weatherstrip and the door needs to be slammed to get it to close, just too thick...but it never sounded so solid!

I feel your pain. I bought a complete set from dixie restorations and had the same damn problem. Of course I had to trim them to fit for length. Called Dixie and they would not take them back after cutting them. Some members said you had to let them form for awhile but after three months my doors had gaps at the bottom almost 1" wide and the doors had to really be slammed hard to close. I ended up getting the replacement seal for a dodge truck from Rockauto for alot less. Not as nice as the oem but worked. I still had to cut the bottom of the seal in half to get it to close and gap properly.

-
Back