Double Bypass

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I finally got my new to me 66 B-Cuda to stay running, and not leave me stranded. I performed a double bypass on the bulkhead connector. I tried dissasembling all the connectors, and cleaning them, but it just wouldn't work. The problem contacts were the fusible link, battery to amp meter wire connection, and the alternator wire to amp meter wire connection, both high amp wires. I drilled out both halfs of the bulkhead connector, and did away with the contacts. I soldered in two, one foot lenghts, of 10 gage wire, slid them thru the drilled out connector, and looped the slack above the pedals. I also put in a new fusible link, which is brown now, instead of blue.
Now I can open, and close the doors, slam the hood, pound on the fire wall, and it will stay running. Before, if I hit a pot hole it would quit running, no matter what id did.
Factory Service Manual with the correct electric schematic, made the job a lot easier.
Next job is bypassing the amp meter.

So if any of you have the above problems, check you bulk head connector, and do it with the proper electrical schematic.

Happy wring barracudadave67

This has been posted, argued, discussed, suggested, done, not done, talked about..................................so many times there would be no way to accurately count

Here is one "take" on the subject.........

Catalog

Glad for you that you got yours "before"

I thought that You had surgery. -- Glad that it was the Car. -- :D --

Magoo
At 74 yrs of age I'll probably have to do that one of these days.

Wheres a good place in the elec system to hook up a volt meter, after bypassing the amp meter,??.
barracudadave67

After about burning my car down to the ground and 2 amp gauges later I did the same thing... So far so good. It's weird not smelling burning wires now.

image.jpeg

conector box.jpg
I eliminated the buldhead connector. I find this 100 times easier to troubleshoot than trying to test the connectors for anything

More reliable and safer. No downside to doing this at all. I ran both black and red into a splice and through a 16ga fusible link to the starter relay. Also ran the alt wire through a 14ga fusible link to the relay.
20170629_173908.jpg

Magoo
At 74 yrs of age I'll probably have to do that one of these days.

Wheres a good place in the elec system to hook up a volt meter, after bypassing the amp meter,??.
barracudadave67
You can see from my image I hooked up my new external 5 volt regulator and my new volt gauge from the same post.
Please read this thread which is what I used to complete this project.
Ammeter to Voltmeter...who does it?
By the way , I spent all day Wednesday on Browns Lake boating. Hope you survived the great flood. Things were bad for a lot of folks.
20170712_163809_001.jpg

-
Back