Double roller vs. Single roller

-
Anything from an OEM 340/Direct Connection/Cloyes True Roller is what I have used. I have used them in my personal vehicles: 170; 3 Commando 273's; HP 383. Most of them have been in cars 20+ years and some over 300K miles. I haven't torn any apart yet. I have no experience with new Chinese or other junk parts. I have checked 340 OEM with 100K, raced every chance, and it was still was within spec. Silent chains not so much, back in the day maybe 100K and the chain slips a tooth.

Gentleman, we are advising on a /6, not a Hemi, 340,440 or any race set up..........daily driver Grandma style, maybe (as stated) an occasional stress reducer burnout.....the question was " Do I need a double row timing set??"........."need??" No!.........but at this point, since we have instilled the fear that anything less than billet, hand made by God timing set is gonna reduce her little / to a pile of junk, she's doomed

Gentleman, we are advising on a /6, not a Hemi, 340,440 or any race set up..........daily driver Grandma style, maybe (as stated) an occasional stress reducer burnout.....the question was " Do I need a double row timing set??"........."need??" No!.........but at this point, since we have instilled the fear that anything less than billet, hand made by God timing set is gonna reduce her little / to a pile of junk, she's doomed
I answered that in post 8

Sorry, I build to be done. Of course she can use a silent chain. She is a daily driver girl, her car will not be some hanger Queen. For the difference in money, I put in a good double roller. I put one in my own 170. These are all opinions, she is a big girl that can make her own decisions.

I know exactly what we are talking about. I also said she doesn't "need" it. That said, she is assembling in the NOW, so why not? Can you give me a concrete reason as to why she, or anyone else would not want the stable and rock solid timing that a 100-130 dollar timing set can provide?

And not just because "she's gonna drive like a grandma".

Nobody's instilling fear, either. We're telling her the truth. Timing is a very important thing to have dead right in any engine. If a 59 dollar double roller were available for a slant, would you also advise against that? What's the difference? 50 or so more dollars?

I would spend the money. To me, it's that important.

But yes she doesn't need it as I have already stated.

Sorry, I build to be done. Of course she can use a silent chain. She is a daily driver girl, her car will not be some hanger Queen. For the difference in money, I put in a good double roller. I put one in my own 170. These are all opinions, she is a big girl that can make her own decisions.
a new over-the-counter timing set would serve her well... double roller would serve better. Slants went well over 200k with the stock assembly. I wouldn't bat an eye going over the counter steel gears and chain.

Two questions for the OP:
  1. will you put 250k on the car???
  2. Will you feel the drop of 3 lbs of torque if a degree is lost in valve timing?
But yes, I don't argue the double roller is better

-
Back