Doug's '68 Dart

-
So I wasn’t satisfied with my factory style dash so here is my next big goal and some pics from my source of inspiration.

I’ll be using this 67 Barracuda dash frame/core because I think it serves as a better starting point.

The universal gauge insert is from Intellitronics out of Euclid Ohio.

I am also adding an under dash a/c louver system from Vintage Air. Hopefully I can blend it n to make it look like it could be factory.

CC774979-4D41-4F23-B3AC-6EF2AEB2B7F8.jpeg

CB25B6E0-29C9-42F0-BB85-357FC1CBE06C.jpeg

FB650D70-3F6C-497A-A026-AA20D0DC7543.jpeg

39D6B86C-41E0-413E-B6C5-3805C35FE9A8.jpeg

31EE434E-2BD5-4640-8000-E5E81F47424D.jpeg

Really cool build! Great idea for a tank. Was this primarily for exhaust clearance? I’ve been looking for a fuel cell to do something similar but this looks like a great fit. Can you share a picture from underneath?
Nevermind I see the underside photos now. Looks like exhaust would still be tight on a inboard leaf spring car

Nevermind I see the underside photos now. Looks like exhaust would still be tight on a inboard leaf spring car
You either need to dump before the rear end (my plan) or run it directly under the frame rails. Also, the Street Lynx kit supposedly does t work with a Dana.

Making some progress. Dash work specifically. Also received and working on installing my rear crossmember (RMS Street Lynx). Also just received my freshly rebuilt 489 sure grip unit (3.91).

View attachment 1715891593

View attachment 1715891594

View attachment 1715891595

View attachment 1715891596

View attachment 1715891597

Beautiful pictures and amazing restoration so far!

Question in the bezels, did you buy new or did you restore these? Also your grill. The grill I assume you polished it with polishing paste and rag? But the bezels, what did you use for chrome trim if you refinished them.

Beautiful pictures and amazing restoration so far!

Question in the bezels, did you buy new or did you restore these? Also your grill. The grill I assume you polished it with polishing paste and rag? But the bezels, what did you use for chrome trim if you refinished them.
Thank you!
The grill and bezels are repop. I blacked them out to resemble GTS pieces as they come in standard form. I do still have the originals to play with but one headlight bezel is bashed up a bit from the fender hit.

The centerpiece/beak is real OEM. I bought/restored it myself. No chrome needed refinished as blems in the chrome were still very minor. Just strip, mask, repaint.

Thank you!
The grill and bezels are repop. I blacked them out to resemble GTS pieces as they come in standard form. I do still have the originals to play with but one headlight bezel is bashed up a bit from the fender hit.

The centerpiece/beak is real OEM. I bought/restored it myself. No chrome needed refinished as blems in the chrome were still very minor. Just strip, mask, repaint.
I wish they made a 69 repop grill but unfortunately they don’t. Refinished my last one but the chrome is impossible to do.

Trying my hand at painting an old extra set of bezels now but again, chrome is not perfect and it’s very hard to do.

Your car is fantastic and it’s going to be a blast when finished.

Thank you!

Ok I have another question on your bezels since I just got brand new bezels.

How did you take out the clear plastic face from your old dash gauge bezel and transfer it over to the new bezel?

This one?

IMG_3001.jpeg

IMG_3002.jpeg

IMG_2750.jpeg

Ooof…. Maybe I should have been more specific. Heat & pull until the stud softens up enough to pull through. Not hold it there till there is a big molten hole. You want the hole small enough to melt back into place on the new part. :eek:

3m two sided foam tape. I have no plans to drive in bad weather. You could use a 3M seam sealant PN 08370 if you want something more reliable.

I have two tubes of this body sealer (leftovers). Stuff ain’t cheap. Can sell for 1/2 price plus shipping.

What did you do between the floor and the tank to create a seal and not allow moisture to get trapped? I’m doing the same setup.

image.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back