Dougs clearance pictures

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am uploading some pictures of the drivers side dougs headers with power steering. I did as shown in the pictures measured the dimensions from the kframe to the crank center and then the offset from the kframe bolt holes to the center which shows a 2.5" offset. Seems the dimensions look fine, but I am still touching the power steering pump? Any helpful observations? I might have the tip of the engine relative to the tranny mount too low which may give me the clearance when it gets bolted in the car, but I did mess with that a little and saw no real change? I have about 1/4" of clearance on the center two tubes which I think is fine. It is the first number 1 tube that seems to be brushing against the steering box on the side where the box has a very slight arc shaped contour. I was hoping to get the same 1/4" there as well. I think by my measurements the engine is sitting in the center. Looking at this with my mind, I want to say the engine should move that 3/16" to a 1/4" to the right or drivers side, but I cannot get it to go there? I did disconnect the torque strap but that did not help either?

Attachments

• IMG_0848_0157_edited-1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_0849_0158_edited-1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_0850_0159_edited-1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_0851_0160_edited-1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_0852_0161_edited-1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0853_0162_edited-1.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_0856_0165_edited-1.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_0857_0166_edited-1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_0858_0167_edited-1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_0854_0163_edited-1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 438
If the tailshaft is hanging low compared to how it will be in your car, you will likely gain some clearance.

If the tailshaft is hanging low compared to how it will be in your car, you will likely gain some clearance.

Crackedback, yes, I was thinking I have this as close as I can get it sitting on the stand. And I guess the real test will come when it is actually installed and the tranny crossmember is all locked in place. Looking at all the measurements, they all seem to align themselves with all that I have read here on this board and especially the specs you have mentioned on other posts. I do not want to take a hammer to the tubes as someone else here did out of frustration. I think I am real close. The mini-starter is also a real tight space to install it. I guess if I am close in just the one area, the tubes will dent themselves but with the torque strap I may not have an issue at all. Time will tell.

Plus I doubt the hood is going to close with the air cleaner I chose? Needed this size to move the air necessary for good flow. I will probably have to get a 14" drop bottom air cleaner with one of those filter top covers from K & N. I will have to unload this one on ebay or something. I think it is about 29" from the kframe to the top of this unit. My other ebody 340 car measures only about 27". Thinking about cutting a hole in the hood below the dual snorkel scoop? Maybe?? Any thoughts??

What about a shim under the drivers side mount? Wouldn't that help some with clearance?

not sure if you would want to do this but you can try the thicker truck rubber motor mounts.....

What about a shim under the drivers side mount? Wouldn't that help some with clearance?

I was wondering about that as well. I have read other posts in which folks here did a small fabricated 1/4" thick steel shim. Maybe I should try it while it is easy to get at and see what she looks like. I guess I can always slide the shim out if something changes after it is installed in the bay.

I was looking at header issues on other threads here. Also some manufacturers instructions,seems that the engine is not totally centered in bay. Should be offcentered to the passenger side. If that is true, (I'm no expert) that should give you the clearance you need. Please see the bold wording above! LOL Thanks.

I was wondering about that as well. I have read other posts in which folks here did a small fabricated 1/4" thick steel shim. Maybe I should try it while it is easy to get at and see what she looks like. I guess I can always slide the shim out if something changes after it is installed in the bay.

I installed the Dougs Headers on my 340 with a power steering box and test-fit it to the K-Frame on the floor of my shop. I had similar clearance issues, and I knew it should work but I didn't want to risk it, so I went with manual steering.
I had spool-type motor mounts though, so there's less room for adjustment. I would just get some spacers and you should be all set to shim it, if needed.

Where are you located in MA? I'm in Northern RI and I cruise to a lot of the local shows.

-Mike

I was looking at header issues on other threads here. Also some manufacturers instructions,seems that the engine is not totally centered in bay. Should be offcentered to the passenger side. If that is true, (I'm no expert) that should give you the clearance you need. Please see the bold wording above! LOL Thanks.

Yes, as shown in the pics with the rulers, my engine is offset in the kframe to the 2.5" specs as required. So it is sitting where it belongs. I think the 1/4" shim on the drivers side may be what will get the clearance I need from the steering box.

I wouldn't do anything until it's in the compartment with the trans bolted in place. You may be worrying about something that isn't an issue when all said and done.

It's easy to slip a shim in if it's needed after the engine/trans are in place.

my car is a big block dart but i have a similar issue with headers. my pitman arm stud would hit the bottom of the header tubes when i was turning the wheel. i ended up welding a 1/4" plate to both engine mounts on the k- member. and then a 1/4" plate was welded to the mounting surface of my trans mount. this raised the engine/trans 1/4" up into the car as a unit. it still gave me the factory set drive train angles and kept the engine level in the car.

-
Back