Doug's D453 headers and 4speed cars

-

Russ H

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone running Doug's D453 Small Block Headers with a 4 speed in their A-Body car? If so, are you able to use the stock Clutch linkage/Z-bar without modifications? If possible, a picture would be much appreciated.

I am going to ditch the 340 HP Manifolds and go with headers, either TTI or Doug's. My final decision will depend on which one has the least amount of clearance issues.

Russ

I used TTI headers on a big block A body and there were still zbar issues hope with a small block you have better luck

From what I have read you will need to modify the z bar. PM Crackedback he has done the modification on some of his cars.

I've read that some people have put dougs or tti headers on SB A's with 4 speeds and not had to do any modifications to the z-bar. I've never been that lucky

The z-bar almost always hits about 12 o'clock on one tube. The other issue is it swings in a decreasing pie shaped space. I've moved the down leg arm by putting an S bend in it or cutting it off and welding it back on.

I've read that some people have put dougs or tti headers on SB A's with 4 speeds and not had to do any modifications to the z-bar. I've never been that lucky

The z-bar almost always hits about 12 o'clock on one tube. The other issue is it swings in a decreasing pie shaped space. I've moved the down leg arm by putting an S bend in it or cutting it off and welding it back on.

Thank you for the information. By chance, can you post a picture of the modified Z-Bar?

Russ

I think, but not sure, TTI sells a modified Z-bar specifically for their headers...Wonder who has one, I've never seen one.

I inquired about this issue via e-mail to Doug's Headers. They responded saying that their part #D453 will fit with no modifications needed... We'll see..

Russ

I hope so b/c i have 4 speed and Dougs headers. I have been worried about this.

I had to modify the Z-bar on mine. I don't know how Dougs can claim that, but production line variance is a b!tch.

That said, it was NOT difficult. Marked, amputated, and moved it down to the end of the shaft with the same "clocking" as stock, and I angled it out away from the Z-shaft a little for clearance if the motor twists on the mounts. Super easy, and they make good power!

-
Back