Dougs header question

-

bamamopar

Reaction score
So I'm ordering a set for my swinger. Me question is it worth the extra for ceramic coating. Then will there be much performance difference between them and my pos hookers?

Performance will Ben bout the same considering the tube size.
If your engine has allready been running the. I would get the ceramic coating. I allways like the reduced temps under the hood and the good looks. The coating normally helps header life very well. Even more so if you only drive in nice weather.

The coating flaked on mine wherever oil or anything got on them. Not bad, but little spots. I'm probably going to be selling them because they were too small for my Duster, so I got some POS 1 7/8" Hookers. They are great for a hot-rod or street/strip car, but mine's kind of gone beyond that now.

LOL! 1-7/8 ought to feed most HOT small blocks!

I didn't have an issue with flaking on mine. They were coated Hedman headers. I have seen them rust through when used during all weather drivers.

LOL! 1-7/8 ought to feed most HOT small blocks!

I didn't have an issue with flaking on mine. They were coated Hedman headers. I have seen them rust through when used during all weather drivers.

Gotta let it breathe! It made the numbers in my sig on the dyno with 1 7/8" Hookers (not mine), but I already had the Dougs, so I just ran them for a while. Trying to get under 7 in the 1/8.

Mine is a everyday driver on sunny days and weekend track car.

Then Dougs will be perfect, and not hard to install. I have a mini started and manual steering, which made installation pretty easy. IIRC, you need a mini starter for them to fit. I didn't need to dent them or anything to get them to fit.

Then Dougs will be perfect, and not hard to install. I have a mini started and manual steering, which made installation pretty easy. IIRC, you need a mini starter for them to fit. I didn't need to dent them or anything to get them to fit.

I have a mini on it now. My hookers are crushed to death. I'm trying to get into the 7s not out of them lol. I'm looking for easier plug change to lol

Yes, I had to lift it up about an inch or 2. Seems like I put them in from the bottom. I have a Charlies oil pan, which sticks out a little more than a regular one, so it added a hair to the difficulty. Now that I think about it, maybe I only put the passenger side in from the bottom. I'd have to look at it to remember, it's been a while.

Yes, I had to lift it up about an inch or 2. Seems like I put them in from the bottom. I have a Charlies oil pan, which sticks out a little more than a regular one, so it added a hair to the difficulty. Now that I think about it, maybe I only put the passenger side in from the bottom. I'd have to look at it to remember, it's been a while.

Thanks I'm probably replacing the rubber in the motor mounts while doing this. I have several different things we are doing at once.

Look over the welds on the inside where the tube meets the flange, mainly where there is a bolt hole is close to a tube. Mine leak in 3 spots, gaskets sealed 100% (aluminum ones, not the ones included). Working with them now on what they propose to do about it. I know how to weld them and fix it but I shouldn't have too on a $650 set of coated headers and I don't think the coating will stand up to the welding either.

Wrap them in some sort of protective layer so you don't scatch them up, maybe bubble wrap?

Because they are mild steel, be sure to get them hot somewhat regularly, to keep rust from getting out of control on the inside. Spray them down with wd-40 when your gonna sit for awhile. The general consensus is: coated doesn't prevent rust; it just slows it down.

Look over the welds on the inside where the tube meets the flange, mainly where there is a bolt hole is close to a tube. Mine leak in 3 spots, gaskets sealed 100% (aluminum ones, not the ones included). Working with them now on what they propose to do about it. I know how to weld them and fix it but I shouldn't have too on a $650 set of coated headers and I don't think the coating will stand up to the welding either.

Mine only seemed to get a good seal when I used the Dougs gaskets. I tried others, but they all leaked. I may have knocked a little off a couple of the welds.

20% Offer ends march 4th!

This one anyway. Usually right after one 20% discount ends they just re-up it with a new date. It's been a pretty constant offer for the last year or so at least.

-
Back