Doug's Headers installed with some clearance issues

-
I am running the Schumaker Torque Strap. I don't see how the motor mounts are going to break with one of those installed? That engine isn't going to move at all with one of those installed.

Oh,they sure did..i was surprised when i found them in 2 pieces last time i had the stroker out,even Schumaker was puzzled when i called them,because the rubber mounts were new ones that i had bought from them, and thats when he sold me the poly-locs at a nice price too....

When the time comes for me to bolt on some tires that will bite I'll have to upgrade those mounts.

So I finally got back out to the garage to continue working on this issue since I would like to be driving the dart now. It appears that the engine is centered in the bay, so i need to move it to the passenger side 1.25". I've been using a couple small wood blocks as spacers to get some ideas of how to space it out, but its not working too well yet. I'll have to get back on it tommorow. Was anyone elses engine this far off?

Also another thought I had today is that the car was originally a /6 car and had a 273 in it when I got it, and I swapped the 318 in. So i'm not sure if the k member is original to the /6 or if it has been swapped.

I am having problems with my dougs headers touching the drivers side torsion bar and steering box. I took the engine mounts out (they are about 1.4" thick). With no mount on the passenger side and the 1.4" mount in the drivers side i get about 3/4" gap between the torsion bar and headers on the drivers side, and the engine is 3" offset to the passenger side now. I think if i put a thinner spacer (maybe 1/2" thick) on the passenger side I could get this to work out.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some measurements with your headers and engine mounts.

- how thick are your engine mounts?
- how much clearance is between the torsion bar and header on both the drivers and passenger side.

its looking like this could work out now!

thanks,

Steve

-
Back