Dougs to summit exhaust

-

perko

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been looking through the old forums but can't get and answer. The words come up too often together, I keep getting irrelevant posts.

How hard is it to mate doug headers to the cheap summit exhaust kit? I know the summit kit was made for the hookers. Thanks

Hi,
I've been looking through the old forums but can't get and answer. The words come up too often together, I keep getting irrelevant posts.

How hard is it to mate doug headers to the cheap summit exhaust kit? I know the summit kit was made for the hookers. Thanks

I can't imagine it would be too difficult. The pieces that come off the headers are fairly short and would allow for some rotation to align with the rest of the exhaust.

I would also suggest you look at the system from Jeg's. When I bought mine, I wanted welded mufflers and not the rolled lip type. From what I understand the Summit kit comes with the rolled lip type (UNLESS THEY HAVE CHANGED), my Jeg's kit came with welded mufflers.

One more thing to look at is buying the kit then buy the mufflers separately (both from Jegs). When I purchased mine I did just that, and it was ten dollars cheaper, lol. Why I don't know, but ten bucks is ten bucks! The total price still qualified for the free shipping!

Check it out and do the math!

Got a link to which summit kit your looking at? I have a Pypes kit on My Dart. I Like it but wish someone would have told me to get the longer collectors the first go round.

I have Doug's and the Summit kit on my Valiant and only had to trim the tail pipes as they were too long. The rest fit great.

In just put the Summit 2.5" kit on my Duster with the Dougs headers. Worked great. Only issue was with the passenger side tail pipe and that had nothing to do with the headers.

Cley

I have Doug's and the Summit kit on my Valiant and only had to trim the tail pipes as they were too long. The rest fit great.

Same here.

I run Doug's D453's on my Duster with a Summit 2.5" exhaust kit. I did a little trimming on the midpipes and the tailpipes to put everything where I wanted it, but really it was just cutting a few inches off the ends of the pipes. I think that has more to do with the Summit kit being generic for all A-bodies. The kit is the same for both the 108" and 111" wheelbase cars, so there has to be some extra. All it took was a couple of test fits and a little trimming, piece of cake.

I think Summit has done a redesign on the mufflers that come with the kit since I bought it a few years back. The mufflers that came with my kit started leaking at the seams pretty quickly, and I replaced them with DynoMax welded ultra-flo's.

Alright, it sounds like this will be a relatively pain free and affordable job. I think this is the rout I'll go. Anyone have any further suggestions or tips? I have a 73 duster with a 318 and 904. Hows the combo sound on a 318? I've got a pair of ultraflows i could put in as well.

Just plan for a couple of test fits. I used the included exhaust clamps for doing all of my test fitting and trimming, but I welded all the joints except at the mufflers after I was done. Too many clamps/chances for exhaust leaks otherwise. I'm sure it would work ok for awhile with just the clamps, but I drive a lot and my car sits pretty low, so I wanted the durability.

Here's a clip of my Duster with the 2.5" exhaust, Doug's headers, and welded ultra-flo's. It's got a ~400 hp 1968 340 though, .060" over, KB 243 hyper pistons, Lunati 60404 cam, duration 276/ 284, Lift .513/ .533. Compression ~9.8:1, 308 heads ported and flowing 264 cfm @ .500".

[ame]https://youtu.be/62bjHlxzsoA[/ame]

I didn't like the hangers that come with the Summit kit, so I did some fabricating to make better hangers, in the stock location. I have used the Summit kit on 2 different cars with great results.

I didn't like the hangers that come with the Summit kit, so I did some fabricating to make better hangers, in the stock location. I have used the Summit kit on 2 different cars with great results.

That's a good point. I actually used the rear hangers from the kit for awhile but they broke, the little plastic clip deals aren't worth a darn. I replaced them with more standard hangers and wouldn't mess with the ones in the kit again. Minor detail though, great kit otherwise.

I'm running dougs headers with a summit kit
I had to trim two of the tail pipes and one other pipe (by about 2 inches)

went together just fine

I did remove my rear seatbelt anchors and welded a 1/2 bolt to them to use as a mounting point for the hangers

(soundbite)

2 pieces of pipe and a couple of 3 bolt flanges. How on EARTH hard can it be?

-
Back