downloading music

-

michformulaS

Reaction score
I am a little embarrassed to say that I haven't bought music in probably 15 years. Back then it was CD's. I have relied on FM and XM radio but would really like to get some of my favorite songs instead of buying CD's full of good and not so good songs like I did in the past. What is the best way to download music? My wife has iTunes but I am not impressed. I want to be able to buy stuff and not worry about using apple stuff to play it. I want to easily manage it from my laptop and put it on thumb drives then plug them into my new truck. It has USB inputs for my music.

Heck that's nothing to be embarrassed about! Not for me anyway; I'm in the exact same position. I went through the very tail end of eight track recordings, then cassette, then CDs for a while... But I haven't bought any music for about the same period as you. And coincidentally, I would also like to get in on downloading some music. I think the biggest advantage is exactly what you described; picking out your favorite songs without having to buy an entire album with other crap I don't listen to anyway. So ...subscribed

You're basically renting the right to listen to the music.

Just like you have to rent the right to watch a movie (and for the most part TV), and soon will have to rent the right to use software or even an operating system.

Companies have figured out a way to get more money out of everyone.

I for one HATE recurring fees and try my best to avoid them.

OTOH, I totally understand the attraction of having other people send me money on a recurring basis.

I use Spotify premium and I like it but I pay for it every month. I can download the songs to my phone and listen to them offline so it doesn't use up all my data and I can pick and choose what songs I want to listen to. As far as downloading goes, my dad has had good luck with pirate bay.

Id second pirate bay once down loaded just transfer to memory stick and your all good.
lot of the time they are the full albums but you can select which songs to download before hand. I use Utorrent as a down loaderworks well handy for all sorts manuals movies tv shows etc

I use a free program called Free Hi Q Recorder for exactly this.
It will record ANYTHING that can come out of the speakers to the computer as an unprotected mp3 and in stereo.
I look up the song I want on youtube.com and record it, and since it does the recording inside the sound system, no external sounds affect the recording.

Here is a sample of the quality it records in.
www.letsgocomputers.com/music/AllIeverWanted.mp3

Looks like microsoft and or audio chip OEMs are in cahoots with RIAA, since that s/w trailbeast mentions doesn't work with an O/S newer than XP. Lots of those youtube grabbers are like that too.

What a cheesy security model if you can defeat it by using older versions :(

As the OP I just wanted to check in and say thanks for the info so far. I have no issue paying per song or a monthly fee as long as I can do anything I want with it after I download it. Per the suggestions so far I am checking our Spotify and Pirate Bay.

Still looking if there are others. I am surprised there aren't new music stores that will let you come in pay some $ and create your own thumb drives. I would only be a temporary need until people that grew up with no records, cassettes and CD's all know how to get their music at home.

Looks like microsoft and or audio chip OEMs are in cahoots with RIAA, since that s/w trailbeast mentions doesn't work with an O/S newer than XP. Lots of those youtube grabbers are like that too.

What a cheesy security model if you can defeat it by using older versions :(

Sure it does, it's just that an average computer user would play hell setting it up. :D
The fact that some sound systems don't play with it sucks more.
HINT: you have to right click and "Show Hidden Devices" in the audio devices to activate it.

I just got done setting mine all back up again after I moved to Win7.

Didn't work for me as there were no additional hidden devices.

OEM drivers didn't work either.

I probably ought to try it on my legacy desktop, though...

YouTube has any song you want. Download the Torch browser (based on Chrome). When you open Torch, go to You Tube and find the video for the song you want. After the video starts playing, in the upper right corner of the Torch Browser you will see a little blue icon. Click on it and you will see a download box on the bottom of your screen. The Torch browser will download the video and the will automatically separate the audio into a ACC. file that can be sent to your phone or can be burnt onto a CD. If you click on the little arrow on the right side of the download box you will see a show file in folder option, it makes it easy to find. Hope this helps.

Didn't work for me as there were no additional hidden devices.

OEM drivers didn't work either.

I probably ought to try it on my legacy desktop, though...

Well, there are a few sound systems that won't work with the recorder at all.
Installing and running the program as an administrator helps a lot if it's problems also.
I only had to start it as an admin once, then after that it runs fine.

YouTube has any song you want. Download the Torch browser (based on Chrome). When you open Torch, go to You Tube and find the video for the song you want. After the video starts playing, in the upper right corner of the Torch Browser you will see a little blue icon. Click on it and you will see a download box on the bottom of your screen. The Torch browser will download the video and the will automatically separate the audio into a ACC. file that can be sent to your phone or can be burnt onto a CD. If you click on the little arrow on the right side of the download box you will see a show file in folder option, it makes it easy to find. Hope this helps.

Pretty much everyone I know would be lost after the download. :D
It's nice to know there are still ways to get free music out there though, right?

Thanks for posting it.

-
Back