Downtimes '72 Scamp - the official thread and introduction

-
Your Scamp looks factory fresh! That 8 Track player will add a nice nostalgic touch. :thumbup:

Well, finally got the new radiator installed. I went with a 26" core, so I had to cut a little metal, but I just don't think there was any way the stock 22" was going to keep up with the Texas heat. Dual 12" electric fans (seem a little cheap, we'll see how they do), Milodon aluminum pump and Mancini aluminum housing. '71 Roadrunner upper and lower hoses work great, with about an inch trimmed off the top hose to keep it from kinking up. Had to change out the fittings on the trans cooler lines and go with flexible hoses too (the stock fitting were completely stripped out, wouldn't thread back on at all).

Still have to get the lower hose on and wire the fans (thanks Trailbeast!), but she's almost ready to fire up again.

Pretty close quarters under the hood now, but there's a good 1/4 inch between the w/p pulley and the fans, so it should be good to go.

IMG_0078r.jpg

IMG_0079r.jpg

Nice car & it sounds very healthy in that video clip. :thumleft:
Thanks! She runs OK, but really is just a big cam and a low compression 440. We're planning on a 512 for her after the suspension mods get done.

Nice. You get those low compression 440's tuned up and they can run pretty well.

Car looks good!

Nice. You get those low compression 440's tuned up and they can run pretty well.

Car looks good!
Thanks man! Yeah, all she really needs is some decent pistons and heads, but I think I'm going to give the 440source stroker kit a try. If a little is good, then a lot should be that much better, LOL!

Finally finished the wiring for the electric fans. Had a tough time finding a spot for everything, it's a little cramped under the hood. Filled up the radiator with some of BeCool's BeCoolant and added a bottle of Purple Ice for good measure. Fired her up and waited for her to warm up so I could check the fans. They came on right where I expected them to (185), so I went for a test drive. It's been unseasonably cool here in Texas this week, yesterday's high was about 90, but she still held no higher than 185-190 on the drive. So far so good. Need to recheck the timing and wait for a good hot day to give her a proper shakedown.

IMG_0089r.jpg

sweeeeet car man. mine is coming slow but sure
Thanks! She's getting there, slowly as well. She was put together kind of backwards I guess. Got all the looks out of the way, now have to sort out the mechanical stuff. But she looks good in the garage, LOL!

mine is kinda the opposite lol im going through it then gonna make it pretty lol

-
Back