Downtimes '72 Scamp - the official thread and introduction

-

Downtime!

Better With A Big Block
Reaction score
Admittedly, there is not much restoration needed on this one, but I couldn't find a better spot for the thread. We'll call it a progress tracking thread instead.

Transport company dropped her off about an hour ago and I couldn't be happier with the car. She looks much better in person than the sales pics could have ever shown. Bright shiny paint, like new interior, fired right up off the truck, even though it's 30 degrees outside right now. Cam sounds good, car rides and stops great (manual brakes will take a little getting used to again, but 4 wheel disc helps a bunch!). I'm sure the 440 will make short work of the gas tank, but we'll have to wait for a little warmer weather the find out.

Carb needs a little tuning to bring the idle down just a touch, but overall, she's a beast. Nothing like 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound car!

Here's a couple of pics to get started, many more to come -

scamp_049.jpg

scamp_050.jpg

scamp_051.jpg

scamp_052.jpg

What a fantastic looking car. Looks like you've got a nice pair of panty droppers there...
speaking of which, Lets get a look under the hood of that stang.

Dam that is a nice scamp. looks like your a REAL car guy with those 2 baby's in the driveway.
That semi gloss engine bay looks real good, even though it's not a Mopar thing.

Thanks y'all!

The Stang isn't much to look at under the hood, just a little Kenne Bell 2.8LC on the 5.0. She makes a bit over 600 at the wheels and busts off high 10's at 134. If I could shift better (old guy, bad shoulder) the MPH tells me she's got at least 10.30's in her. Not bad for a daily driver.

Here's a couple from our last track rental at MIR this past October. Drove her out from Texas, beat on her all day, and still got to drive her home. Good day of racing!

rtjr7_001.jpg

rtjr7_003.jpg

kb_002.jpg

kb_003.jpg

LOL! So do I. Hopefully, they can learn to get along with each other.

Nice Mustang! Love the blower setup.(Kenne-Bell,I presume)

Welcome, I love anything clean and fast.
I bet after tinkering a little with the scamp it will be a fun fast car.

It's a low compression motor, '78 I think. I figure new pistons and a good set of heads, and ditch the Barry Grant carb, and she'll be cookin'!

Here's a shot under the hood, just a low compression 440 with a few goodies.

scamp_052.jpg

Also picked up some "new" tunes for her this weekend. Channel Master 8 track hump mount, still brand new in the box! Figure I'll wire it up through a couple of 3.5" speakers in the dash for that authentic 70's sound. Now to dig out my old 8 tracks up in the attic. Hope they still play!

8track001r.jpg

8track002r.jpg

8track003r.jpg

Nice scamp!!! Got any interior pics? Also is it a factory k member car with swap mounts? How does it drive with the big block up front? Is this your first a body big block? If so what are your impressions????

One more question... What kind of exhaust??!

Nice scamp!!! Got any interior pics? Also is it a factory k member car with swap mounts? How does it drive with the big block up front? Is this your first a body big block? If so what are your impressions????

One more question... What kind of exhaust??!

Factory V8 K member (was a 318 car) using the Schumacher kit and mounts.

It's a little front heavy, as can be expected, but overall it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Non power assist 4 wheel disk brakes get her hauled down quickly and very straight. Power steering makes putting around town an easy affair. As long as you're not trying to keep up with that crazy *** in the Vette, and remember you're driving a 42 year old car with torsion bars, you won't get yourself in any real trouble.

I do see some of PST's new big torsion bars in her future, that is if I don't decide to give Hemi Denny a call first.

The exhaust is Schumacher headers, running out through 2.5" pipes, an H pipe, Flowmaster 40's and the chrome tips at the rear bumper. Pretty quiet most of the time, but it has a little FM drone every now and then. Not bad, and totally fits the spirit of the car.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2IM-l2IH60&feature=share&list=UU_QMoTfVNehd7olv7sTKdbg&index=1"]1972 Plymouth Scamp 440 cold start up - YouTube[/ame]

Awesome car and I like the name Downtime.....what's the story behind that ?

Very nice! I love the steering wheel! I had one on a 73 Cuda! Grant evidently quit making them because no one has them anymore! Would love to have one on my 72 Dart!

You mentioned you just got it! Where did the car come from?

Awesome car and I like the name Downtime.....what's the story behind that ?
Back in my chopper building days, I liked 'em long and low, somehow downtime was mentioned and it stuck. Kind of ironic these days, since I'm an IT Geek by trade, and downtime is the last thing you want!

Very nice! I love the steering wheel! I had one on a 73 Cuda! Grant evidently quit making them because no one has them anymore! Would love to have one on my 72 Dart!

You mentioned you just got it! Where did the car come from?
The car came from Illinois. Original owner put it for sale on Gateway's site, to help fund the build for his B body project. He should get all the credit up to this point, he did some great work. I was looking for a project car to get me out of the FOrd world and back into Mopars, and after seeing this one, I realized I couldn't buy a beater and get it to this level for what he was asking, so I bit the bullet and bought her. I knew it would be nice, but I did not expect this close to show quality. The car is Uber clean!

Back in my chopper building days, I liked 'em long and low, somehow downtime was mentioned and it stuck. Kind of ironic these days, since I'm an IT Geek by trade, and downtime is the last thing you want!

That's cool and ironic....

-
Back