Dr. Diff BBP axles with 11 x 2.5 Drums

-

subcom

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Swapped out my Moser 35 spline axels/spools yesterday with a suregrip and the Dr Diff axles and discovered that my new BBP A-body 8 3/4 axles from Dr. Diff will not work with my existing 10" x 1.75" redrilled drum setup. I'd like to go disk on the rear but all the kits are so expensive. The 11 x 2.5 drum setups seem to be readily available, though on the heavy side.

Will the 11 x 2.5" drum setup fit-up to the Dr. Diff axels ok? I was a little disappointed to learn that the DrDiff axels are also ~ 1/4" wider on each side. I see plenty of discussions about it on FABO but it wasn't mentioned on his product description when I made the purchase. My wheel/tire combo is already pretty tight in my Early A body.

I got my axles from Dr diff for use with stock redrilled drums..everything works fine

I got my axles from Dr diff for use with stock redrilled drums..everything works fine
You have stock 10 x 1.75 drums? Were they custom axels from Dr Diff or the off-the-shelf BBP A-body ones?

honestly I don't remember, I called Cass (Dr.diff) and told him I want to keep the stock drums and re drill them for the 5x4.5 bolt pattern, he sent me a set and everything bolted up fine

Not sure how dr diff does it but moser asks if you are running stock brakes (re drilled drums) or big car brakes (large bolt pattern drums).

If you have axles made for big car brakes then yes the 11" drums will work fine.

hope this helps, looked back through my email and found the invoice for the axles
IMG_20170305_132632.jpg

ai just took the drums to the shop and re drilled the bolt pattern, I THINK the center register was the same

if the axles are for redrilling the "stock" small bolt pattern drums then the center register should be the same smaller size.
if not its likely set up for the large bolt pattern drums AND backing plates and has the larger center register.
any large bolt pattern rear brake COMPLETE ASSEMBLIES from 65 thru at least 89 (has to be rear wheel drive) will fit.
My axles, from the good Dr, are large bolt pattern for standard large bolt brakes. I have a set of 11" brakes from a 74 Satellite on the A body 8.75.

-
Back