Dr Diff FORD rear disc brakes....What replacement pads have you tried?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe nobody here has worn out a set of rear pads yet since most of us don't drive these cars 20,000 miles per year.
I'm just looking for suggestions for a good street pad for this setup.

Doesn't that use the Lincoln Versailles brakes? Whatever it is, I would try your local Ford Dealer. They might still be available.

When I did my own Cobra brake conversion on my '86 LX, I used Powerstop's kit, but any ceramic or semi-metallic pad will work just fine. You don't have to go with the Ford stealership.

Last edited:
These kits use components from the 1994-2004 Mustang.

The 10.7" and 11.7" kits use Mustang Cobra calipers. The newer 11.25" kit uses Ford Explorer parts.

There are a TON of pads available for the Mustang Cobra calipers. EBC, Hawk, PowerStop, StopTech, Raybestos, Wagner, Centric, etc, etc.

For street use I prefer just a regular old semi-metallic compound. They don't necessarily provide the highest stopping power, but they also don't require any warm up to function properly. Some of the fancier pad compounds will give better stopping power at higher temperatures, but they don't work as well cold which is what they'll be a lot of the time if you're just using them on the street.

Ceramics should also work well on the street (no warm up required, etc). I've run them in other applications, I still prefer the semi-metallics. That's not a stopping distance comparison or anything scientific, I just like the consistency and feel from the semi-metallics. But that may just be what I'm used to since that's the majority of what I've run.

On my Duster I'm still running the semi-metallics that came from DoctorDiff with the rear brake kit.

I have the pads that came with the kit I bought and installed in 2006.
I recently changed to drilled and slotted rotors front and rear...

603 F.JPG

456 R.JPG

439 R.JPG

I just replaced the rotors in back and retained the existing calipers, pads and mounting brackets.

I saw my pads started chipping away after bedding in the new front pads.

22 5 X.JPG

22 5 Y.JPG

22 5 Z.JPG

The Charger is not drag raced but I do run it pretty good on the street. I want good brake performance from it but don't need the type of pads that have to be hot to work.
I decided to try a Raybestos pad that is a hybrid of semi metallic and carbon metallic.

617 ZC.JPG

617 ZE.JPG

617 ZF.JPG

I recall Rick Ehrenberg claiming that in most cases, the darker the pad, the better the bite.
Currently, the car stops okay but not "excellent".
I can't get the car to skid except on wet pavement or on dirt. I don't want a touchy brake system that locks easily.

I have The Cobra Rotors on the rear of my '64 Dart. have not replaced the pads (stock from Cass / Dr.Diff) in ~20,000 Miles of spirited mountain corner carving , autoX, trailer towing and 1 Track Day session. I am going to try EBC Yellow Stuff for the rears next. We have Run those for 8 hours straight on the Front of the Lemons race car (Single piston MoPar Calipers) and they work well.

These kits use components from the 1994-2004 Mustang.
Lawd hammecry, I would think there's a PILE of different types of pads available for that. Just flip a coin......and keep flippin. lol

Another thought......you might jump on a big rustang forum and ask around. I bet you'll get some good recommendations right quick.

-
Back