Dr. Diffs shipping cost.

-
A38A7622-A102-4693-B804-EA4F55D7B53F.gif

shipping is costly i agree , but would any of you want to fill the tank and go get the part or parts . here gas is 6.59 a gallon , shipping seams cheap after a hundred dollar bill is not enough to fill the tank . just saying shippers buy fuel too .

Put your O ring between 2 pieces of card stock.

The machine needs a flat surface to operate properly.

The right thickness for the part in question should make it work- find a thickness that won't let the outline of the part show through.

I usually buy a pack of those “puffy” oversized mailers at Walmart. I can usually put small parts in them and send them USPS for a couple of dollars.

I have a **** ton of large parts to get rid of, but I know the shipping will kill the deal, even if I price em to sell. I guess a swap spot or 2 is on my list at the Nats this year.

Last edited:
I realize that the prices on everything is rising rapidly. I ordered two of the manual brake pushrod retaining O rings last night. $9.00 shipping for something that should fit in a very small envelope. I imagine it will show up in a huge box with a pound of shipping peanuts. I would hate to see shipping on some heavy brake components or a pair of axles. Just had to vent!
I shipped a distributor gear and shaft via the usps, a box about the size of a coke can, cost me 17 bucks.

I realize that the prices on everything is rising rapidly. I ordered two of the manual brake pushrod retaining O rings last night. $9.00 shipping for something that should fit in a very small envelope. I imagine it will show up in a huge box with a pound of shipping peanuts. I would hate to see shipping on some heavy brake components or a pair of axles. Just had to vent!
And in Cass’ defense, he has no control over his shipping prices. He’s not large enough to negotiate better prices. It is what it is. Vent all you want about the costs, but it’s not him to blame.

I ship almost weekly. But I have a story that will trigger you all.

I bought a pair of used racing seats on-line, with agreed-to shipping assistance prior to the sale. However... Guy was a newbee & told me to come get them once I bought them (I am in the middle of the US & he was in NY). I mentioned that it was a bit far for me to drive over, & then asked him to simply box them up & I would provide a UPS label to simplify matters. Seller says "I dont have any boxes." Now this guy was in the auto related business, and that caught me off guard that he had no idea on boxes. But I had just gotten another set of similar seats from Germany so I told him what size the boxes needed to be. He said "sorry no boxes" again. So jokingly I say "lord, what do I have to do send you my boxes?" And he said YES!

So now I am looking at providing a label, and boxes... How is that for a deal? So... $45 to ship collapsed empty boxes to NY.

Then (it gets better) I put a shipping request in to ship these 25lb seats back (in the boxes I sent!) to me. $720. Yes, seven hundred & twenty dollars. I even called UPS to confirm it was right (it was only $290 for the same items from Germany!)

It is robbery.

Then yesterday I shipped a rear spoiler to the East Coast. The shipping was $300 (large trunk spoiler but carbon & lite) and I looked over the breakdown. $98 shipping, $55 fuel surcharge, $25 admin fees, $35 location delivery fee, $50 large package fee and the rest was insurance in case UPS broke it (isn't that nice that you have to buy insurance incase their staff is careless).

Robbery. I am looking into alternatives.

Trying getting it shipped to Canada.
Double the price, then add tax and some companies charge a brokerage fee.
Alot banks charge a conversion fee to convert money.
I also am in Chinada. The exchange rate and fees for $ conversion get you in the place that rarely gets sun on it. Fuel costs also contributing. Of course the blame gets tossed at Tzar Bedpan of Mordor, not that his ego is helping mind you. Fuel costs is the very wealthy pricks affiliated with the WEF and their pogrom to depopulate and convert to all electrons. First problemo is the infrastructure is not up to the task and will take $ billions to trillions to build. Timeline is probably 20 to 30 years. And then how is that fueled? Wind and solar are not emissions free like the pricks try to advertize. Batteries to store electrons to power cities at night? Have the gullible wokies really thought about that? To incorporate that all farmland will be under windmills, solar panels and batteries. Then we starve to death.

I ship almost weekly. But I have a story that will trigger you all.

I bought a pair of used racing seats on-line, with agreed-to shipping assistance prior to the sale. However... Guy was a newbee & told me to come get them once I bought them (I am in the middle of the US & he was in NY). I mentioned that it was a bit far for me to drive over, & then asked him to simply box them up & I would provide a UPS label to simplify matters. Seller says "I dont have any boxes." Now this guy was in the auto related business, and that caught me off guard that he had no idea on boxes. But I had just gotten another set of similar seats from Germany so I told him what size the boxes needed to be. He said "sorry no boxes" again. So jokingly I say "lord, what do I have to do send you my boxes?" And he said YES!

So now I am looking at providing a label, and boxes... How is that for a deal? So... $45 to ship collapsed empty boxes to NY.

Then (it gets better) I put a shipping request in to ship these 25lb seats back (in the boxes I sent!) to me. $720. Yes, seven hundred & twenty dollars. I even called UPS to confirm it was right (it was only $290 for the same items from Germany!)

It is robbery.

Then yesterday I shipped a rear spoiler to the East Coast. The shipping was $300 (large trunk spoiler but carbon & lite) and I looked over the breakdown. $98 shipping, $55 fuel surcharge, $25 admin fees, $35 location delivery fee, $50 large package fee and the rest was insurance in case UPS broke it (isn't that nice that you have to buy insurance incase their staff is careless).

Robbery. I am looking into alternatives.
CRAP! For all that trouble yall couldda met in the middle.

I used a square cut injector Oring off of a 70s Ford diesel tractor. We worked on tractors in our shop.
It's all a money game. Keep the price on the item low for the sale, then add extra on the shipping. Kinda like what the cable companies been during for years. $59.00 then after other expenses and fees, $99.00. Same for hotel rooms and hospital billings.

Amazon is filling up all the trucks with their boxes of mostly air.

I bought a good sized socket set for my son on clearance cheap. The shipping was going to be way more than I paid for the set. I took all the parts out of the plastic case & shipped them in a large flat rate box. Worked out good.

On the flipside, that is why I sell most of my surplus auto parts on local craigslist. I don't know a way to ship at prices which big guys and especially Chinese sellers get. I don't care to deal with buyers who fuss about a shipping price, but can't tell me how I can ship it them cheaper.

On the flipside, back ~2005 I got a Tremec 6-speed via a shipper (FedEx, forget) but not the minivan transmission I had bought. I kept trying to return it to them, and they picked it up once, but they phoned saying "not properly packaged". Told them that's how it came to me. I said if they returned it, I would sell it, and they returned it. Sold it for $700 on ebay (cheap for a Tremec) and only cost $70 to ship it from CA to AZ via DHL air. I just put it on the conveyer belt w/ label at the nearly DHL air facility. All others wanted >$300. Soon after, DHL stopped local shipping in U.S. BTW, the used minivan transmission I bought showed up unannounced 3 months later in my driveway.

Last edited:
With fuel prices where they're at, are you guys really that surprised at shipping costs? Just be happy you have that option available. If you were so inclined, you could always hop in a car or plane and transport those packages/envelopes yourselves.
I agree to a point but check this out....

1 item(s) $125.00
Shipping $62.49
Order Total$187.49

This master cylinder kit easily fits in a USPS $20 flat rate box. These charges are over three times that. This isn't reasonable. I have the money but stuff like this pisses me off enough to NOT buy just on principle.

I agree to a point but check this out....

1 item(s) $125.00
Shipping $62.49
Order Total$187.49

This master cylinder kit easily fits in a USPS $20 flat rate box. These charges are over three times that. This isn't reasonable. I have the money but stuff like this pisses me off enough to NOT buy just on principle.

Yeah, that's crazy! In that instance, I'd simply give him a call and see if you could order it over the phone. It's likely just a function of a quirky algorithm that calculates shipping costs, so I'd be reluctant to place blame on Cass.

Yeah, that's crazy! In that instance, I'd simply give him a call and see if you could order it over the phone. It's likely just a function of a quirky algorithm that calculates shipping costs, so I'd be reluctant to place blame on Cass.
Dang, Evan...you're a smart guy.
I poked around and saw that the rate quoted was a flat rate international. If I were in the Congo, that would be a heck of a deal!

New rate....

Summary

Payment method: Credit Card (We take Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express)
Shipping method: USPS Priority Flat/Regional
Subtotal: $125.00
Shipping cost: $11.45
Total: $136.45

Thanks for cooling me off on that. My quick temper and rash judgement get me off track sometimes.

Dang, Evan...you're a smart guy.
I poked around and saw that the rate quoted was a flat rate international. If I were in the Congo, that would be a heck of a deal!

New rate....

Summary

Payment method: Credit Card (We take Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express)
Shipping method: USPS Priority Flat/Regional
Subtotal: $125.00
Shipping cost: $11.45
Total: $136.45

Thanks for cooling me off on that. My quick temper and rash judgement get me off track sometimes.

Hey there ya go! Damn technology...

Just an updated thought. Not everything is less expensive on-line. I had some shipping issues these past couple months and started pricing at local part stores and found out their prices are becoming compatible with the online sites. Not going to mention any store names, but I just ordered a 1970 part and received it (the same Dorman part) the next morning, at the same price online, without shipping costs added. I have also seen items less on-line, but shipping costs brings it up to the local stores pricing or higher. Where's the deal? Do your homework!!!! Note: If you use a store often, you may get a better price and service. If not, ask.

I just ordered last week a Mopar 8 3/4" (8.75) Nodular Iron 489 Casting 489 housing for 275.00 and the shipping was 100.00 smackers . I said oooh it will be here fast. I figured that cost would be next day or 2 days but nope it the slow shipping freight. Add those 2 together and now you have the full price.

-
Back