drag brakes plumbing

-

swifter

Reaction score
When plumbing a drag car do I still need a proportioning valve????? I'm putting in a rear valved pressure reducing valve to set front/back bias but not clear if I still have to put a proportioning valve in--Steve

I haven't raced in years but do remember one thing...I wanted that car to stop when I needed it to!!! I think I'd build the best system I could.

So, trying to figure out what you're doing. You're adding a proportioning valve like this...

wil-260-8419_cp.jpg

in order to control the front/rear bias correct?

And you want to know if you still need the stock combination valve?

$(KGrHqFHJDUFB,ZwUv!mBQi!i8BBzQ~~60_12.JPG

If that is the case, I see a couple reasons to keep the stock combo valve. One, you still need to split the lines to the front brakes somehow. Two, assuming you still have drum brakes in the back, you need a residual pressure valve. That valve resides in the stock combination valve . Finally, I'm guessing that since this is a race car you're not worried about the brake lights, since one of the switches is also in the combo valve.

If all that is right, then you can ditch the stock combo valve as long as you use a brake tee to split your front lines, and plumb in a residual valve for your rear drums (10 psi for drums, 2 psi for disks). Personally, I'd keep the stock combo valve as long as its working properly and just add the proportioning valve for the rear. Or you could use something like this

sum-g3910_cp.jpg

Which solves your distribution block and prop valve problems, and still leaves a switch for the brake lights if you ever need them. You do still need a residual valve if you use rear drums with this one, found that one out the hard way.

I have strange disc brakes on front and rear of my 71 Demon...

I used the stock distribution block.

Yes--sorry I didn't know the correct lingo--But yes you guy's are understanding what I'm asking,I didn't know if I needed the distribution block in the system or not--Steve

sorry again--I'm going 4 wheel disc brakes--Steve

that's what I have on my valiant as well. its cheaper than the summit one pictured earlier. on a side note I have used both versions pictured and they work very well.
allowing for adjustment of how much rear brake applied.

BINGO--Thanks guy's-that will work sweet--Steve

-
Back