Drag Car Brake question

-

swifter

Reaction score
OK-Seems there is a "difference" of opinion on this subject so I want to go to you racers on this question----- Do you plumb the rear brakes into the master cylinder port closest to the fire wall??????? I have searched and found LOTS of different answers and I want it straight from a racer. We are going to plumb all new lines and i want to get it right,I'm used to thinking that you want the front brakes to apply first but they have a lot less fluid/lines involved so that would mean the front lines go in closest to the firewall but then I read you want the rear brakes on the largest reservoir because you have a longer line run to the back and in a drag car you want to apply the rear brakes first,We are using normal aluminum mopar master on the car--Thanks Steve

I have also been going through braking problems on one of my Race Cars also.
It locks the fronts fairly easy, more so with the right front.
I have a couple of flat spotted tires to show for it.

I'm running a 1973 style M/C with a dial-poportioning valve.
Std 1973-up discs & rear drums.
Tried to dial more to the back & the fronts don't hold very well.

A friend of mine has a 9.90 Malibu, he has a late style MoPar M/C (Alum) on it.
He reversed the lines on it, front goes to the rear & so on.
He has great smooth even braking. He also said alot of racers he knows does the same thing.
Any one try this?

We use mopar master cylinder with rear brake line to the rear. No proportion valve at all because the master is self proportioning. Bigger tires slowing instead of skinnies. Everybody has their own way.

Ray

Thinking about the way master cylinders are made, led me to plumb the front brakes closest to the brake pushrod. If you are applying pressure, make the fronts apply first because, the weight of the car will rock forward and more of the car's mass will be on the front. Where most folks get into trouble is using the wrong diameter master or to much leverage ratio. A friend and I have used the stock length pedal and 1 1/8" master, with no problems.

Factory has it front reservoir to rear brakes and rear reservoir to front brakes. Larger reservoir goes to Disk brakes because they require more fluid volume to operate the caliper pistons (compared to the drum wheel cylinders).

-
Back