drag racing induction sys

-
Here's a oldie,but goodie: Have you visually verified, ACTUAL FULL THROTTLE mechanically? Are all 4 barrels actually opening up,when controlled by the gas pedal? It's free,usually a first step check,on something like this.

Just what I was thinking :thumblef:

I have a mild 408 in my 68 Cuda with 3.55 gears and it runs mid 12's. Hemifish69 your Cuda should be a lot faster than mine. Something is seriously wrong. Like BarracudaBarry said you should sort out what you have first before changing things.

I agree with those that say the 830 isn't enough for maximum effort but it's plenty big to run a lot better than what it ran.

I live about 40 miles ne of Gateway. Was planning on going again on a TNT night before the season is over so I may be there the 23rd. Hope to meet up with you and outlaw

Attachments

• DSC02458.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 205
It was mentioned before, but check the valve spring pressure.

another thot, pull the hood insulation off of the hood if your running w/o the air cleaner, won`t hurt a thing , even if it doesn`t help-----------bob

No insulation under hood, and I've got an edelbrock foam air cleaner that looks a lot less restrictive.

Timing was too far advanced, and I'm going to check my valve adjustment today.

One thing though. I just got done reading the thread here where a member blew up his 727 and "only" broke several bones in his foot.

I have the bolted sprag, but no other concessions to safety.

I'm seriously considering not putting this car on the track until I have some shielding on the car.

What do you all think?

Were these 1/8 or 1/4 mile runs? Who built the engine? Was it dyno'd? What rockers are on it? You should have big traction issues and you don't. I doubt its the suspension or tires. I'd start with the basics: Compression test, leak down, etc. It's not the carb or fuel system. It's seems to be a turd from "go".

No insulation under hood, and I've got an edelbrock foam air cleaner that looks a lot less restrictive.

One thing though. I just got done reading the thread here where a member blew up his 727 and "only" broke several bones in his foot.

I'm seriously considering not putting this car on the track until I have some shielding on the car.

What do you all think?

Absolutely nothing wrong with being safe...

What do you all think?

Having the right safety gear is always a good thing...that being said, the person in the previous post could have prevented his trans explosion and broken foot by pulling the trans and inspecting the sprag after he broke the rear end (no offence intended, but true).

FYI, unless you want to mess up your engine further, I would get rid of the foam air cleaner and get a real air cleaner that won't be incinerated with 1 backfire and get sucked into the carb...JMHO as a racer.

Wow, something is not getting fed and after looking close at your build you have a tun of weight, how heavy is your car, and with the engine you have it should be much faster..
I hope to hear it is something simple, like the carb is not doing it's job correctly..
or there is restriction of air to the carb, but I would think it would be blowing black smoke out the back (like running with the choke on) my money is on the carb is not squirting correctly or your tune is way off. Good luck today and looking forward to see what the day brings .

What do you all think?

Like Flyfish said there's nothing wrong with being safe but 727's don't generally just go boom for no reason. Their very tough transmissions and yours having a bolt in Sprague is a plus. Generally the reason they blow up is a driveline failure (tossed a driveshaft under a load, broke the rearend under a load, etc) and if that happens you should always tear down the trans. and inspect/replace the rear Sprague. A billet front drum is a real nice item cause they won't explode anywhere close to as easy as a stock drum. Whether you need it or not depends on the power level, & valve body selection (should always have one if your running a manual valve body with no low band apply). Right now the way yours is running you shouldn't have to worry about it. If you get it worked out and running like it should (easy mid 11's) upgrading the trans is a consideration.

I also agree with flyfish on trashing that junk air breather.

Did you make it to the track tonight? Mine developed a coolant leak Saturday and I had tons of stuff come up around home so I didn't get it fixed so I could go. I see their having test and tune every sat. in Nov. Hopefully the weather holds out and don't get too cold, or worse. Shooting for making it the 2nd

you should be able to get into the 10's on pump with a 472 and 4.10's. Sounds like you need to start with the basics and make sure everything is playing nice...

compression
timing
linkage binding
stuff like that...

Made it to the track, and it was feeling a LOT healthier.

BUUUT:

Some rain came through, and Gateway kicked everyone out before anyone ran. I didn't even get off the trailer.

Did get to meet some cool people, in particular, a dude with a notchback primer black cuda.

I've got my rain check. Post when I get to run again.

Id check pretty much what has already been said. Full throttle, the air cleaner, and the blue pump. I had to run 2 blue pumps on my ol 440/451. One wouldnt feed it. same motor I ran a tunnelram and had some little paper element air cleaners on it. Those little filters were costing me a half second in the quarter. Also where was your timing? Not sure it can get too high as long as it isnt detonating. Ive ran between 38-42 degrees in most of my big blocks N/A.

Id check pretty much what has already been said. Full throttle, the air cleaner, and the blue pump. I had to run 2 blue pumps on my ol 440/451. One wouldnt feed it. same motor I ran a tunnelram and had some little paper element air cleaners on it. Those little filters were costing me a half second in the quarter. Also where was your timing? Not sure it can get too high as long as it isnt detonating. Ive ran between 38-42 degrees in most of my big blocks N/A.

something we learned at school is air filter area. So many people over look how much air the filter can hold back if its not big enough... i slow down with my slant even with a 14x5" air filter.

(thinking crossrams) they are really hampered on filters unless you get one filter for both carbs.

and agreed on the pump, as i said a easy 472 motor should go 10's no sweat.

Attachments

• DSCN1369.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCN1446.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 113
Made it to the track, and it was feeling a LOT healthier.

BUUUT:

Some rain came through, and Gateway kicked everyone out before anyone ran. I didn't even get off the trailer.

Did get to meet some cool people, in particular, a dude with a notchback primer black cuda.

I've got my rain check. Post when I get to run again.

That sucks that it rained. Was the guy with the primered Cuda named Ron? If so he's the president of our club.

That sucks that it rained. Was the guy with the primered Cuda named Ron? If so he's the president of our club.

When you run at the track take the air cleaner off your car. I do not see why you would do that in the first place.

Ya he done messed that up good! Lol. I think he wants you to pull the air cleaner. I don't speak Alabaman but I play one on tv. Ha

I bought the $17 edelbrock cleaner so I could pull the foam and run the mesh to keep the big chunks from going in the Carb.
I can't remember the dude's name

Ignition is mopar electronic.

Going down track, car just felt like a go cart with a governor on it.
check all your grounds the system has to have 13 volts to run correctly not 12 or 12 1/2 it must be 13 or better its more then likely going to 5 or 5500 and stopping mind did the same thing I was so mad I pulled the spring of the carb and and walked away went behind the car and look in at the amp gage it was just off the charge mark.shut her down got to checking and had a bad ground so I added three more to the motor fired her back up went up the street that thing was all over the place got to 7500 before I knew it.yeeeeha life was beter then:cheers:.hope this helps ............Artie

I had a 340 I used to run with the mopar elect ign. I had a similar problem my first trip to the track and chased it to a bad ign box. It would burnout fine, run out 1st, but 2nd gear it would fall on its face at like 5k ish. Felt like a rev limiter or like it was starved to death. Shift 3rd, same thing, pull hard for a second and then fall off. I swapped to a chrome ign box and was good to go next trip out. I dropped nearly 9/10th's off my ET. I eventually ditched the mopar stuff for a msd box. I'd check it out before ya go big $ on a new carb/intake set up.

Joe

Sorry about the quote that was a mistake. What I was saying was I do not understand why you would run a air cleaner at the track. Unless the return road was a gravel road.

-
Back