Drag Week 2023

-
It was a fun week, I pushed out of the beams in the 3rd round of the bracket race. They let me back up and stage again but in my mind I had already lost and I was flustered and cut a bad light.

Great week though, other than little bit of trouble with my fan connector I had no trouble with the car. Picture from Hot Rod Day 5. I wish they took as many pictures of my car as they did of that sweet turbo Dart!

DarlingtonDay5.JPG

It was a fun week, I pushed out of the beams in the 3rd round of the bracket race. They let me back up and stage again but in my mind I had already lost and I was flustered and cut a bad light.

Great week though, other than little bit of trouble with my fan connector I had no trouble with the car. Picture from Hot Rod Day 5. I wish they took as many pictures of my car as they did of that sweet turbo Dart!

View attachment 1716146487
It was great to be able to pit next to you on Thursday. Unfortunately it was a rough day for me and I had a mountain of work to do. I still owe you valve cover gaskets! Thanks for that. Your car is killer and fast as all get out. Fly that small block proudly!!!

It was great to be able to pit next to you on Thursday. Unfortunately it was a rough day for me and I had a mountain of work to do. I still owe you valve cover gaskets! Thanks for that. Your car is killer and fast as all get out. Fly that small block proudly!!!

I know that has to be a very expensive trip especially for you guys out west. Could you give us a breakdown sheet of what an event like this costs. I’m sure it’s an eye opener.

Yes you looked busy, but it looked like you had a good helper! No worries on the valve cover gasket.
I know that has to be a very expensive trip especially for you guys out west. Could you give us a breakdown sheet of what an event like this costs. I’m sure it’s an eye opener.
Nobody wants to do the math on the totals lol.

This year I took the motorhome. It gets about 5 mpg. With gas being around $3 a gallon it wasn’t too bad. It cost about 3500 in fuel in 2450 miles each direction but. I saved on hotels. So with the hotels ($750) for dragweek plus entry ($500) plus fuel for the car both race ($345) and street ($475) grand total $5570.

This year I took the motorhome. It gets about 5 mpg. With gas being around $3 a gallon it wasn’t too bad. It cost about 3500 in fuel in 2450 miles each direction but. I saved on hotels. So with the hotels ($750) for dragweek plus entry ($500) plus fuel for the car both race ($345) and street ($475) grand total $5570.

Motorhome helped with food costs too I’m sure. No matter what we have to eat so it’s hard to count that. Thank God you didn’t have to take the Pa Turnpike. Lol

I'm sure I spent 10 grand Canadian the year I went (2017)...I would like to go again but I can never seem to find anyone who doesn't have to ask their wife if they can go....

Motorhome helped with food costs too I’m sure. No matter what we have to eat so it’s hard to count that. Thank God you didn’t have to take the Pa Turnpike. Lol
Oh man. You can tell when you are in a blue state. The roads are incredibly shitty. Poor motorhome gets pummeled to death. I lost a tail light and two side markers this time. Food helps because its $15 bucks per person per meal. While eating out of the motorhome we can do it for $5 per person per meal so there is a huge benefit to that. My truck gets 3mpg pulling the trailer. Its a 2004 Chevy 2500 with the mighty 6.0LS what a joke of an engine. Really really under powered and gets crappy mileage when you load it with a trailer. My buddies 2019 Duramax we took last year got 9.9 on average but I think it used 50 gallons of DEF and that ***** gold plated. Its like 5 or 7 bucks a gallon.
I'm sure I spent 10 grand Canadian the year I went (2017)...I would like to go again but I can never seem to find anyone who doesn't have to ask their wife if they can go....
Yeah its hard to find people to even come with me to the local tracks. I just need someone to set down the gopro to film the runs. Everyone around me are either super busy working to make enough money to just put food on the table or they are no longer into racing on any level. My buddy that went with me the last few years got bumped by my son. He was bummed but understood.

Yeah its hard to find people to even come with me to the local tracks. I just need someone to set down the gopro to film the runs. Everyone around me are either super busy working to make enough money to just put food on the table or they are no longer into racing on any level. My buddy that went with me the last few years got bumped by my son. He was bummed but understood.

I thought it was pretty cool to see your son doing that on the live feed.

Oh man. You can tell when you are in a blue state. The roads are incredibly shitty. Poor motorhome gets pummeled to death. I lost a tail light and two side markers this time. Food helps because its $15 bucks per person per meal. While eating out of the motorhome we can do it for $5 per person per meal so there is a huge benefit to that. My truck gets 3mpg pulling the trailer. Its a 2004 Chevy 2500 with the mighty 6.0LS what a joke of an engine. Really really under powered and gets crappy mileage when you load it with a trailer. My buddies 2019 Duramax we took last year got 9.9 on average but I think it used 50 gallons of DEF and that ***** gold plated. Its like 5 or 7 bucks a gallon.

My motorhome is only a 25’ class A with whatever big block fuel injection check they used in 2003. I’ve never checked the fuel mileage because there’s nothing I can do about it anyway but it tows great. Bridge expansion joints about knock your teeth fillings out and you would swear your 1200.00 worth of new tires are going to blow for sure. But we love it. Lol

I was talking to my 18-year-old nephew last night and told him I would take him to Moparty next year if he would go with me...I would supply everything even the car for him to drive...only stipulation was he has to attend at least 3 local autocross events for practice and go to the drag strip once next summer to test the car before next Sept

I thought it was pretty cool to see your son doing that on the live feed.
I haven’t seen it yet. He was scared at first.
My motorhome is only a 25’ class A with whatever big block fuel injection check they used in 2003. I’ve never checked the fuel mileage because there’s nothing I can do about it anyway but it tows great. Bridge expansion joints about knock your teeth fillings out and you would swear your 1200.00 worth of new tires are going to blow for sure. But we love it. Lol
Mines a V10 class A 29’ its so close to having enough power.
I was talking to my 18-year-old nephew last night and told him I would take him to Moparty next year if he would go with me...I would supply everything even the car for him to drive...only stipulation was he has to attend at least 3 local autocross events for practice and go to the drag strip once next summer to test the car before next Sept
Awfully generous of you!

View attachment 1716146487
They may not have taken many of your car, but that one you posted is perfect in about every way. Great looking car lifting the front tires just enough to show off without wasting forward momentum. Love it.

Not many fast Mopars running Drag Week. Your Dart was putting on good show. Very cool.

It was a real bummer to hear Trunkett had issues. I think it was reported as a lifter issue. Not enough Mopars out there, and that was another really fast one.

It was a real bummer to hear Trunkett had issues. I think it was reported as a lifter issue. Not enough Mopars out there, and that was another really fast one.
We came up on him on the side of the road. I run the .904 bam bushed lifter. He runs a different diameter. Turns out the cam was toast too.

We came up on him on the side of the road. I run the .904 bam bushed lifter. He runs a different diameter. Turns out the cam was toast too.
Are you still running a small block setup and, if so, what lifter angle are you running?
In other posts it looks like maybe a W5 headed small block with a Ritter block.

Last edited:
-
Back