Drain it (Drain Plug install with castle nut)

-

goldduster360

Reaction score
I have installed the B&M/Dorman style with the large through bolt drilled out but they always leave allot of fluid in the pan by their design. I saw this idea several years ago, use a castle nut welded in the pan and it allows the pan to completely empty, so that's what I did. Welds ain't pretty, I used flux cored but it still worked:

great tip! ...and welds that can't be seen are plenty pretty! (I need a lot of work in that area myself.... flux core wire is most of the prob from the experienced folk I speak to on the subject)

that's really one of the best ideas I've seen but I will caution you about all the weld splatter, remove has much as you can or it will come loose. a putty knife or gasket scrapper works great.

nice idea. still isn't getting all the fluid out though. that is a raised section of the pan.

since you already unbolted the pan why not just tip over to drain it ?

:D

nice idea. still isn't getting all the fluid out though. that is a raised section of the pan.

So put the plug where the recess is for the filter? Can't see how that would work since there is only maybe 1/4" clearance from pan recess to filter. Even the pans with the plugs leave a little in by design.

My dad taught me how to do the same thing, only difference is instead of a castle nut, i ground out a slot in a regular nut, then cleaned the threads.

Makes a fluid change a whole lot easier.

-
Back