Drain plug leak questions

-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
Well, yesterday I noticed after all this work and hell of pulling my pan and putting it back up like 6 times now, I have a small leak coming from my drain plug. "Meh, probably didn't tighten it enough. I'll give it a good snug and check the entire pan for leaks, why not:dontknow:" So I snug it as best as I thought it would and I come out today to see an even larger puddle under it after observance of it only dripping maybe a drop a day before and there is no leaks coming from anywhere else. Now its leaking 10x as worse so I go to tighten it this morning and see whats going on and it gets tight for like a second and then gets loose again then gets tight then loose again :banghead:. Anyone have a clue as to what is going on? I think at some point it got a Wally World oil change and now I am gonna need a new pan. I almost thought about putting some teflon tape on the drain plug but I know that is probably a bandage fix at best

Stripped pan and/or missing gasket. Someone probably crossed threaded the plug along the way. You can buy a self tapping repair plug which will cut fresh threads. It'll include a nylon or similar gasket too. Might even include a built-in magnet.

images

Stripped pan and/or missing gasket. Someone probably crossed threaded the plug along the way. You can buy a self tapping repair plug which will cut fresh threads. It'll include a nylon or similar gasket too. Might even include a built-in magnet.

images

I put a new gasket on before so that's a no.

Where do I get this magical drain plug sent from the heavens? If you would be so kind to point me to it, you'd make me magically happy\\:D/

The HELP section of any auto parts store should have them. I believe it's 1/2". I'm concerned that you put a new gasket on and the problem remained or got worse.

You're right. I checked your post again and see that it never really gets tight. Was thinking maybe it was tight but still leaking.

You're right. I checked your post again and see that it never really gets tight. Was thinking maybe it was tight but still leaking.
No, you are right. You are the one who suggested it and I really appreciate your help man. I wasnt trying to be an *** to you and I hope it didn'tcome off that way. I sincerely appreciate you:prayer:

yes the tapping plug or just check it my just need a new gasket

I really hate to mention this,,,,,but sometimes when using the tapping type plug the darn nut welded to the inside of the pan breaks loose and spins before it gets tapped out all the way by the new self threading plug.
Then the pan has to come back off anyway to get fixed.

Here's hoping your does not.
In any case start that self tapping plug in there as straight as possible.
I hate oil leaks and seaps with a passion, so I always put a small bead of silicone seal around the plug threads right up against the head of the plug before I put them in.
Keeps them bone dry.

sometimes when using the tapping type plug the darn nut welded to the inside of the pan breaks loose and spins before it gets tapped out all the way by the new self threading plug.

That's always a possibility. The "threaded insert" that the factory used is just spot welded in place. Go slow - cut some thread, back it off, repeat.

I really hate to mention this,,,,,but sometimes when using the tapping type plug the darn nut welded to the inside of the pan breaks loose and spins before it gets tapped out all the way by the new self threading plug.
Then the pan has to come back off anyway to get fixed.

Here's hoping your does not.
In any case start that self tapping plug in there as straight as possible.
I hate oil leaks and seaps with a passion, so I always put a small bead of silicone seal around the plug threads right up against the head of the plug before I put them in.
Keeps them bone dry.

Big thanks TB!

That's always a possibility. The "threaded insert" that the factory used is just spot welded in place. Go slow - cut some thread, back it off, repeat.
That's a good suggestion. I will do that. I am always very gentle though with everything I do. Im a scurdy cat

Any parts store should have them. Just ask for an oversize drain plug.

-
Back