Drill axels or not

-

blmopar1

Reaction score
[/b I have an 8.75 4" bolt pattern rear in my 69 notch back my question is i want to go to a 4.5" bolt pattern and was thinking of sending them to mosier to have them re-drilled has anyone done this or other recommendations. Thanks

Attachments

• redrilled1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 193
Mosier will re-drill them for $65 a pair + shipping and drums for $45+ shipping

Drilling is an option, especially on a budget. But.....

If you figure the cost of shipping in, you aren't going to be that far off on the new axles.

To drill 65
Let's just guess 45 each way for shipping 90
Drums drill 45
Let's just guess 35 each way for shipping 70

65+90+45+70=270.00

Then you have the drum issue still and brakes.

Sell your axles, brakes etc, and go for Dr Diff's package. While you're at it, upgrade to disc's front and rear, and buy some steelies and Dog Dishes and bigger tires.

Now put in a stroker, an overdrive automatic, fuel injection, upgrade the suspension and shocks, stiffen the chassis with a US Cartool kit and upgrade the front seats.

Once you have all that done, restore the body, paint and interior. That's how my journey went over 10 years. :banghead:

Or maybe just enjoy the car the way it is, but that's lots less fun.

Attachments

• not me.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 165
Moser charges $90 to plug and re-drill the bolt pattern, plus the cost of the lug studs. In addition, due to the heat during welding, most customers install new wheel bearings at the time. Add another $45 to re-drill the drums, plus shipping both ways.

If you go with new axles, you must add the cost of 5 x 4.5" rear brakes, however.

10 years....those guys on TV can do that in a couple of weeks!
LOL, yah, yah, I know. It's a progressive, on-going disease this hotrodding stuff.

Besides, those hack bastards still haven't produced a show where they don't forget a half dozen significant details. They always seem to overlook important details of the craft.

I think Hotchkiss should have a show. Then we could actually learn something.

I re-drilled a set on my Duster many years ago when the new replacement axles where not available or big $$$
I had to use the 7/16 original studs instead of the 1/2 that the 4 1/2 BP uses.
The 1/2 studs come very close to the outer edge of the flange on the hub when re-drilling. I also didn't bother welding up the old bolt holes, why would you, they don't get in the way or make a diff being there.
Don't forget, you need drums as well....I drilled out my drums as well...but using a new set with the correct BP can work, but be cautious of the center register on the axle and drum. these were of various sizes and it is an important in centering the drum to the axle for brakes. The register can also cause some issues with rims, depending on what is used. Just my findings.....In the end...buy new 4 1/2 axles and walk away, they are cheap these days :) IMO

-
Back