Drilling a 1/16" hole in t-stat?

-

RustyDusty

Rabid Cross-eyed Opossum!
Reaction score
Hey,
I was wondering if any of you reccomend drilling a 1/16" hole in the t-stat so you don't shock the head with cold coolant when it opens?

Drake

A lot of them are coming with a hole already but if they don't I drill it just to help in burping the system.

Hey,
I was wondering if any of you reccomend drilling a 1/16" hole in the t-stat so you don't shock the head with cold coolant when it opens?

Drake

the warm coolant is already in the block/heads, thats why the spring in down, and not up (twords radiator). the hole helps bleed air from under the t-stat

MoparKid,
I knew that. I'm a moron. I just read it on google (which is ALWAYS right :angry7:) and for some reason forgot what I already knew and soaked in the BS.

I didn't know it was for helping bleed air though. How does it help to bleed air though? Wont the air bleed once the stat opens?

MoparKid,
I knew that. I'm a moron. I just read it on google (which is ALWAYS right :angry7:) and for some reason forgot what I already knew and soaked in the BS.

I didn't know it was for helping bleed air though. How does it help to bleed air though? Wont the air bleed once the stat opens?

yes but if there is a pocket of air under it... means there is no coolant touching the t-stat... hope it opens becasue the t-stat reads temp...

so pistons did u decide to go with?? u decide on any other parts either?

I'm still studying on my stuff before I make a purchase. I know I'm going with the .080s though. I've been reading your thread about your busted rings. I want to try and avoid things like that.

I'm still studying on my stuff before I make a purchase. I know I'm going with the .080s though. I've been reading your thread about your busted rings. I want to try and avoid things like that.

that was probably my fault, either because i messed up on install somewhere or my tune wasn't good...

Just make sure you use a balanced flow thermostat like the OEM one. Mr Gasket makes them.

Nice thing about drilling a hole in the thermostat, especially for fresh engines, is you can fill the engine to capacity before it is started. That way no hot spots due to air bubbles. And no need to top off once its running.

The last couple tstats I've got had a hole with a little rivet looking thing in it. I cut that thing out so it had just the hole. The hole was more like 1/8" though, IIRC.

Just make sure you use a balanced flow thermostat like the OEM one. Mr Gasket makes them.

I used to work for the company that was an OEM supplier to Chrysler/Ford/GM in the 60-80's and the factory t-stat was not a balanced flow unit.

Also regarding the hole. If you take a look at where the valve seats against the body you will likely see a small divot in either the valve or the body that serves this purpose. It was easier/cheaper to make the stamping tooling this way than to stamp a hole or add a secondary operation.

Good thing about a hole in the thermostat, especially for engine costs, you can fill the cylinder of the engine before it has started. In this way, no hot spots due to air bubbles. And no need to top it off during operation.

-
Back