Drip Rail Tucking

-

JohnSerbian

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 1972 Dart Swinger. It use to have a rag top, but that is long gone & i have no intention of putting it back. I've seen a boat load of drip rail shaving posts, which is an awesome look, but i would like to retain the trim, & haven't been able to find any articals that talk about keeping that trim, but bringing it in closer to the body. ( See Foose's TerraCuda job)
I think i can achive it by cutting the chrome trim railing tabs off, (top of the horizontal "T"), shortening the bottom of the "T" that is coming off the body with out seperating the pinch welds that hold the roof together & rewelding that top of the "T" back to that shortened horizontal rail. Sorry if thats confusing.
JohnParts has a good pic of that section on page two of his posts from when he shaved his rails off. (awesome Build!) It show an inner cross section of the railing system & i think what I want to do could work, but i would love some input or advise. Thanks everybody! :glasses2:

It is a lot of work. And would look cool. Tightening it clearance wise,would baffle the unkowning onlookers. Shaved the drip rails,off of my 70 El Camino. Loved the look. Please be patient,unless you have done work like this before.

I'd love to see pics of something (anything) that has had what you're talking about done. I have a hard time thinking it would change the look much but I could be totally wrong.

It is pretty cool. They look about flush. Seems to me they would need to be moved downward to achieve that. Not sure though.

Does it bother you that much? Leave it be and drive it man. Drip rail area is structural.

-
Back