Dripping Gasoline on Panel During Pit Stops?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
My spare plastic gasoline containers always seem to leak when adding fuel to our '65 ABodies. Today I decided to think ahead and tape the area off first. Wouldn't you know it, first time I added from the 5 gallon plastic can and not a drop spilled out from the spout area of the can or from the fill opening of the vehicle. Well, no harm done, just pulled the tape back off like I planned to do anyway.

IMG_0114.jpg

I bought one of these and it works great.

Much easier than hefting a 5 gallon jug of fuel in the air.

Screenshot_20231212-182504.png

Filled 'er up at my favorite Pemex station and when the pump shut off, gasoline shot out and spilled onto the shoe of the female gas attendant (here in Mexico, employees are still hired to pump for the customers). It also spilled onto the ground and the quarter panel. Anticipating a problem, I waxed the quarter panel below the filler pipe before heading to the gas station (and I also warned the girl beforehand the fill pipe was finicky).

My spare plastic gasoline containers always seem to leak when adding fuel to our '65 ABodies. Today I decided to think ahead and tape the area off first. Wouldn't you know it, first time I added from the 5 gallon plastic can and not a drop spilled out from the spout area of the can or from the fill opening of the vehicle. Well, no harm done, just pulled the tape back off like I planned to do anyway.

View attachment 1716177729
These work a Treat and They're only about $6 or $7 dollars...
Hyper Tough Manual Siphon Pump Universal, 6 ft. Hose, 36201WDI - Walmart.com

siphon.jpg

View attachment 1716177729
At first glance, I would think the tape would trap some spilled gas and caused more harm to the paint by being trapped, until tape was removed, vs just running down and off and evaporating.

However, this does entertain the invention of a hard plastic removable partial funnel refueling "bib".:)

That's what holey socks are for. Hook the sock onto the flange and pour. At the gas station you stuff the sock around the filler nozzle so the kick off works.

-
Back