Drive 1000 mile bringing new old car back home

-
You havent said nor has anyone asked what kind of wrench you are? Id drive it for sure if i had the time. A old broken down car on the side of the road can be a easy fix for someone who knows what to look for. A break down for someone who doesnt can be a expensive tow and trouble shoot. Also any one of these twenty thousand dollar cars on this forum can break as well, and a lotta guys here could fix their cars and a lotta guys here would have to pay someone to.....

I drove my last 6-banger project car (67 notchback Barracuda) from San Francisco to Tahoe with no gauges, 1 headlight, really really bad 9" brakes, bald & different sized tires, no horn, no turn signals etc. The only thing that did work was the brake lights! The thing scared the hell out of me but it made it.

Hey, did you end up buying it and retrieveing it yet? I'm about 1/2 way between St.Louis and Louisville. I'm in Jasper, 1 hour from Evansville, just off I-64. If you need anything, let me know when you're headed thru the area and I'll make sure I'm close to a phone. Even if its a place just to crash, and get some grub before heading out again.
Looks like we could almost set up a relay for suport along your way. Let us know...
. ( PM me for phone number )

Drove my Duster from Westport, Mass to Clayton N.C. in 2007 when I moved south. I did not have any issues. Like a previous poster said, make sure all fluids are up and preferably changed, bring a set of mechanics hand tools, a Voltage Regulator, Ballast, ECU, and hoses. Would not hurt to contact some of the members here to have a support network just in case. Have fun with your new car!!

Drive that Mopar 55 miles and go back and check temp on axle bearings and spindles JMO :-D
Black pepper for radiator and everything said, like extra ballast resistor, ignition control unit , and voltage regulator. some basic hand tools

I hope this thread has a good ending, a gallon of water will save an engine and could get you up the road a bit farther :happy10:

I got a deal buying a 318 Duster in Missouri. I'm thinking of buy a plane ticket and drive it back home. Car is good condition, but I never drive 40 year old car that long, its 1000 mile trip, do you think the car can make it in 1 day? I did 1000 mile trip with 99 accord in 1 day before.

Hows 40 years old car respond to such a long trip? Safe to drive old car that far? What do you think?

I would check the fluids and filters. Change them if you need to before you drive.That is what I always do when I buy a new/old vehicle.

When I bought my Dart I drove my Dart from Reno to Orlando. No mechanical problems although it leaked and or burnt 28 quarts of oil in 3200 miles. It looked like a mosquito fogging truck rolling down the highway(LOL)

-
Back