Drive by wire question

-

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
I have a question about the drive by wire system. Does the drive by wire pedal send a signal to the computer then to the drive by wire throttle body? Or does the pedal send a signal to the throttle body first, then to the computer via a throttle position sensor?

What I would like to do is use my old stock gas pedal connected to a cable to operate a gen3 hemi stock system. I would use as the stock computer and accessories as much as possible while I try to keep the interior of my car "stock" (using the old stuff) as possible.

The system diagram should tell you this. That seems to be a big stumbling block, around here. My first guess is that the pedal controls the ECU, and the ECU controls the step motor in the TB

The pedal has an app sensor (app=accelerator pedal position). This inputs to the PCM which then controls the throttle body with feedback from the throttle position sensors. The Hemi engine in the earlier trucks like my 2004 ram have the APP mounted on the end of a cable under the battery tray. I can't see any reason you couldn't adapt that to your stock pedal.

If you want to use your stock pedal get a 2003 Dodge Ram stepper motor. It hooks a cable pedal up to a motor that sends a signal to the ECU.

Riddler

I am starting to remember about these stepper motors. Was there some kind of delay issue when stepping on the gas pedal, a slight delay before the engine responded? Does this sound familiar? If this is the case, was there a way the delay has been eliminated?

-
Back