Drive Line Hoop Design

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
Anyone see why this wouldnt work? I have seen the type that is being made that bolts to the trans cross member but it has to "reach" so far to actually capture the drive shaft. I realized its possible on my 904 to bolt it closer to the end of the tail shaft by utilizing the 3 holes that are on the tail shaft itself. Whatcha think guys?

Hoop.jpg

If you actually loose a driveshaft the bolt will break thru the end of the trans tail housing. I had one make just like, until I saw a thread of one dueing just that. So, I had my reworked to bolt to the crossmember. If I can find the thread again I'll post a link. Just remember the front u-joint is the one that can send you air born.

Just remember the front u-joint is the one that can send you air born.

I think they tried this one on MYTHBUSTERS & couldn't launch the car. Mangled things a bit but the car stayed on the ground. I'd still feel safer with a loop, just because of the damage the driveshaft can do to the car, possibly the driver too.

I think they tried this one on MYTHBUSTERS & couldn't launch the car. Mangled things a bit but the car stayed on the ground. I'd still feel safer with a loop, just because of the damage the driveshaft can do to the car, possibly the driver too.

The car on mythbusters wasn't going but about 25 mph max IIRC.

Lose a drivshaft at 100+ and it's a whole different ballgame.

US car tool builds a loop that mounts off the crossmember bolts. I don't know the rules, but, I think the loop has to attach via floorpan or frame rails.

I saw that episode too. They were using a huge barge like a Fury or Belvedere. It didn't get airborne but did jump up a little. Since A-bodies are so much lighter I'd think they'd get airborne quite a bit easier. It's also one of those things that isn't real likely to happen but it can and when it does look out.

Even if it doesn't go airborne it that driveshaft flopping around can sure beat stuff up bad. If it's contained it's less likely that anything else will get mortally damaged.

-
Back