Drive on Lift for the Garage

-

Pawned

N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it
Reaction score
A while back, probably last year, someone posted a link or posted a picture of a
short drive on lift in a home garage.

I am trying to find the link for this lift as I am tired of the Duster falling off the jacks. The other night it fell again. Both times as a result of the car shifting on the way up. This time there was no damage and scared the hell out of me.

Plus when I was taking the car down this afternoon this is what happened. I was happy it did not go completely thru both walls and stick out the living room wall.
I think my wife would be very unhappy if that happened

Attachments

• 20140916_115307[1].jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,051
  • 20140916_115256[1].jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,227
That seems worthless when you have jacks and jack stands.

The jacks and jack stands are not quite high enough. The two times I tried to go higher the car fell off the jack stands. Yesterday there was no damage but the last time it was a mess under the car

Looks like a Costco tire change lift. Not alot of under car access. How about some beefy anchored ramps? Use some planks half way up the ramps to get a nice easy grade up. Get that bumper 3 feet off the ground, and chock the front wheels. Then use your quick pumper under the diff for a 3 point lift and jackstand the rear. Stable.

Looks like a Costco tire change lift. Not alot of under car access. How about some beefy anchored ramps? Use some planks half way up the ramps to get a nice easy grade up. Get that bumper 3 feet off the ground, and chock the front wheels. Then use your quick pumper under the diff for a 3 point lift and jackstand the rear. Stable.

The first time I did that exact configuration was the first time it fell off the jack stands

That seems worthless when you have jacks and jack stands.

More stable (SAFE) and more versatile that jack stands and allows one person to roll the car around. I currently have a '71 El Camino up on them and as I said they are extremely handy.

What are you using for jack and stands. Been wrenching for 32 years and never dropped anything. Used a lot of floor jacks working on trucks.
Maybe you just need better jacks and stands

Looks like your stand is an el cheapo from the picture looks like your trying to jack the car from the side can I buy a big life insurance policy on you it's just a matter of time hopefully your not trying to raise the stand with those blocks of wood

Sounds more like you need to stop and learn about How you should be putting a car on jackstands.

Maybe you're trying to put the car too high in one go or something.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=1714754469&stc=1&d=1410906733

Looks like your stand is an el cheapo from the picture looks like your trying to jack the car from the side can I buy a big life insurance policy on you it's just a matter of time hopefully your not trying to raise the stand with those blocks of wood

NO That is not that jack I use to get the car up in the air. I am using 4 bumper jacks and move front one jack to the next, in order to pump each one up one at a time to keep it level. The blocks of wood you are seeing are for me to put under the bumper jacks for added height.

I do not believe in life insurance, because when I die I want it to be a big tragedy.

I think I started this thread to find a drive on lift jack for the garage. The first and second replies gave me all the information I asked for. The one from 6pk2goDemon also gave me relevant information, but not what I was looking for.

I guess I should have more specific in my question

How in the fu** does a car fall off stands???
I've been working on cars for over 35 years and NEVER had one " fall off "

Bumper jacks and on blocks - you are one brave sole hope you find what your looking for

I am using 4 bumper jacks and move front one jack to the next, in order to pump each one up one at a time to keep it level.

If I'm understanding this correctly...

You. Are. Crazy.

If I'm understanding this correctly... You. Are. Crazy.
If you care about those who love you at all, please NEVER lift a car again with the method you described here! That said, here is some good info for you, if you want a really slick lift that won't take up valuable space. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35433&showall=1
My response was facetious. All of a sudden people are insulting me and my tools. They have no idea who I am, what I have and only catch a glimpse of a picture I posted. With that little information, they sound like my parents oldest son (who I have had nothing to do with for 30 years) So I posted what I did, to see if they think about what they post before typing it in. I am 61 years old, very well educated, and I am smart enough to ask for advice when I am confused about something. Usually I can get information here faster than reading thru the endless listings on Google. I was looking for information, not to be patronized.. As I posted earlier, I was given the info I was looking for early on and the info was greatly appreciated. Does this make sense now???

My response was facetious. All of a sudden people are insulting me and my tools. They have no idea who I am, what I have and only catch a glimpse of a picture I posted. With that little information, they sound like my parents oldest son (who I have had nothing to do with for 30 years) So I posted what I did to see if they think about what they post before typing it in. I am 61 years old, very well educated, and I am smart enough to ask for advice when I am confused about something. Usually I can get information here faster than reading thru the endless listings on Google. I was looking for information, not to be patronized.. As I posted earlier, I was given the info I was looking for early on and the info was greatly appreciated. Does this make sense now???
So let me get this straight, You have a floor jack but use 4 bumper jacks???
Man don't work on your car anymore!!:violent1:

-
Back