Drive shaft diameter...what's too big?

-

aengineguy

Reaction score
Getting close on my 71 Dart. Built 408 (525+hp), 904, 8 3/4 with 1350 yoke, full TTI 3" exhaust to the bumper and the stock trans x-member. Planning on 1350 slip yoke also. Are there any fitment problems with going as big as a 3 1/2" dia. drive shaft. Have not decided on mild steel, 4130 or aluminum yet. Future plans may include 600+ hp. Just want to be on the safe side. Will be a street car for a while, till I tub and cage it later.

Appreciate your comments.......Thanks!

Thanks guys! The original stock shaft diameter was 3" od, but was swedged down at the ends, to 2 1/2". I just did not want to get a 3" full length, that would be a fit problem in the trans x-member, especially with the larger swing of the 1350's. I thought at one time I had read that there was some issues with clearances??

I bought a chrome-moly driveshaft from Mancini,s with 1350 u-joints and the 904 slip yoke.It fits in my 66 Dart Early-A with Dana 60 no problems.I also have an adjustable D.S loop.Good luck.

The diameter of the shaft is dependent on the length, rpm, hp, weight, and trans...

then see your local driveline shop

-
Back