driveline and u-joint/rear yoke question

-

Fabbr

Reaction score
I have a driveline that has the correct slip yoke for the trans. The yoke on my 8 3/4 rear end doesnt have tabs/bungs to self center the rear u-joint, the straps were gone when i got it. The front and rear u-joints are the outer retainer clip type, i cant use the inner retainer type on the rear driveline side due to the casting contour of the yoke, What do i need to do to ensure the rear u-joint is going to be centered? This seems to be fall out from combining a variety of parts, can i make it work? thanks in advance.

The shaft is using outside lock up to hold the joints and not inside lock up like the end yoke.

Tell me what series the joints are in the shaft at the rear side and what does the yoke measure across (outside or inside measurement will work for me) then i'll tell you what joint you need.

If you don't know post a pic of the joint in the rear of the shaft

..................and what year/ model do you think some of this stuff is out of?

Thanks, ill get some pictures up possibly tomorrow night, i was supposed to meet up with a friend of mine to setup the gears and true trac, something came up. As far as the parts i have no clue on the driveline. I did notice it has a smaller diameter coming off of the rear yoke that goes into the larger diameter driveline, there is some type of rubber insulator inside where the two join. Any thoughts on this? The rear is an 8 3/4 out of a 69 imperial/new yorker (best guess) not 100% sure 489 case 11x2 1/2" brakes.

I can't believe a 69 would have external snap ring U joints. The rear yoke SHOULD have locator "tabs" that the U joint sits in. You may be trying to use the "small" series joints in a "large" series rear yoke.

Photos would certainly help

If things have been changed it very well can have outside lock up. Detroits been OOB since the late 80's and for example i never repaired or built a new shaft for any mopar using the old detroit parts or the china copies just switched them over to dana spicer series

These cars have been around long enough it could have a MG rear end under it.

-
Back