Driveline Angles 101 or Everything you ever wanted to know about driveshafts but were afraid to ask.

-

ACME SS

Reaction score
There was a question a couple days ago about transmission angles and I copied the following link in response but the OP was quickly deleted. This is such an interesting topic that I thought I would post the link here for anyone interested. There is a detailed article on setting up transmission and diff angles but if you do nothing else, watch the video where they mess with angles and phasing of the joints. This is the best demonstration I've seen on this topic.

I realize that with a stock setup there is little to no concern over any of this but as we modify things, this becomes very important. I took particular attention to my angles when I built a Factory Five Racing Cobra a few years ago since the driveshaft was only 6" long and was literally inches from my waist. The thought of it coming apart was terrifying.

Driveline Angles 101

I went through this dilemma when I had to get a driveshaft to account for my O/D trans and slightly moved engine/trans location. So much differing info/opinions since most people seem to build based on hard launch/drag racing principles.
Tremec has a great downloadable app to use, though how to hold your phone when it has buttons on both sides so they don't affect your readings was a little tricky.

EDIT: Tremec-as mentioned in the article, if I had bothered to read it first.

Last edited:
I went through this dilemma when I had to get a driveshaft to account for my O/D trans and slightly moved engine/trans location. So much differing info/opinions since most people seem to build based on hard launch/drag racing principles.
Tremec has a great downloadable app to use, though how to hold your phone when it has buttons on both sides so they don't affect your readings was a little tricky.

EDIT: Tremec-as mentioned in the article, if I had bothered to read it first.
Yep, I had the same issue with an offset differential on a ford explorer that was not in line with my Tremec 6060 that had a flat face output plate. I ended up getting a driveshaft made for me with a Porsche CV joint on the tranny end and u joints on the differential. I was dealing with compound angles and it blew my mind.

-
Back