driveshaft angle ?

-

purplescamper

Reaction score
I have a 73 scamp with a 833 4speed and a gear vendor overdrive I'm going to get the driveshaft shortened I need to know what the driveshaft angle should be. I bought the inclinometer tool to do the job. just need to know what to set the angle at.

Are you asking about the rear axle pinion angle or the transmission to driveshaft?

Most people have a difficult time understanding the information in the link provided by RichardJ916, but please follow it. The info from G. down to the picture of a driveshaft with an inclinometer tool attached to it is the area that most people find difficult to understand. You need to take two measurements and add them together to achieve the proper angle. Keep in mind, one of the numbers could be a negative number.

trans to driveshaft

The trans to driveshaft angle really isn't taken into consideration when your trying to get your driveshaft/pinion angle. The angle that's important is the angle of the pinion relative to the engine/trans angle. If you engine/trans angle is "down" 3 degrees then your pinion should be set so that it's pointed up 3 degrees when the pinion is under load (under acceleration). Your goal is to get the pinion to be parallel to the drive line when your accelerating.
In the end, the angle of the driveshaft with respect to the trans doesn't really matter unless you have a 4 wheel drive and it's jacked up so high that the driveshaft u-joints are binding.

treblig

The trans to driveshaft angle really isn't taken into consideration when your trying to get your driveshaft/pinion angle. The angle that's important is the angle of the pinion relative to the engine/trans angle. If you engine/trans angle is "down" 3 degrees then your pinion should be set so that it's pointed up 3 degrees when the pinion is under load (under acceleration). Your goal is to get the pinion to be parallel to the drive line when your accelerating.
In the end, the angle of the driveshaft with respect to the trans doesn't really matter unless you have a 4 wheel drive and it's jacked up so high that the driveshaft u-joints are binding.

treblig

I have a 73 scamp with a 833 4speed and a gear vendor overdrive I'm going to get the driveshaft shortened I need to know what the driveshaft angle should be. I bought the inclinometer tool to do the job. just need to know what to set the angle at.
How much of an interference to the floorboards will the gear vendor create? Are you concerned about cutting up the floor to get it in, or wondering if you can tilt the engine/ trans combo back and have it fit without cutting up the floor?

How much of an interference to the floorboards will the gear vendor create? Are you concerned about cutting up the floor to get it in, or wondering if you can tilt the engine/ trans combo back and have it fit without cutting up the floor?

Dropping the rear of the engine to get more gear vendor clearance will tilt the fan blade and also make it hard to get a good fuel level in the carb. Of course you could buy an angle spacer to get the carb level. Normally when you built a hot rod or make major modifications to the engine angle you're supposed to set a level on the intake to carb surface. Carbs are normally mounted on level surfaces to get good gasoline/float levels. Tilting the engine trans too much will also starve the transmission filter (pick up) with the majority of the fluid being forced towards the back of the pan. When you launch this problem multiplies!!

Treblig

treblig

-
Back