Driveshaft fell off

-

75dodgedart

Reaction score
Hello all,

Back again,

So Was driving down the interstate, and the driveshaft fell off to where its connected to the rearend, lately was alot of shaking and vibrating going on, the front end is now dead on, but ya the driveshaft fell off connecting to the rear end, any ideas on what wrong, I will post some pics in the morning, Car is a 75 Dodge Dart 2 door custom hardtop, slant 6 904 torqueflite, car has always been a champ. any idea's,
MOPAR 4 LIFE

u joints loosened up, causing your vibration, then fell out as well as the drive shaft...

Make sure you take your driveshaft to a driveline shop to be checked and balanced. And you thought you had a vibration before. LOL

So even though it was vibrating bad you were driving it down the hwy?? Makes no sense at all. You'll be lucky if it didn't break off all the bolts in the yoke and bend the driveshaft. Good thing it didn't go through someone's windshield and kill them.

So even though it was vibrating bad you were driving it down the hwy?? Makes no sense at all. You'll be lucky if it didn't break off all the bolts in the yoke and bend the driveshaft. Good thing it didn't go through someone's windshield and kill them.

Ignorance is bliss and sometimes you lead a charmed life.
One of my first truck driving jobs years ago was in a 10 yard tamdem axle dump, and pulling a 6 yard pup to boot. It was an old and very used up 318 diesel Jimmy. Doing all of 25 miles an hour in the outside lane of bumper to bumper 8 o'clock rush hour freeway traffic one morning I had one of the drivelines let go and fling itself accross all four lanes of traffic. It didn't hit a damn thing except the concrete divider barrier separating inbound from outbound traffic.
Yup, sometimes you lead a charmed life.

New u-joints
Check and balance the drive shaft
Ckeck the yoke to make sure you didn't damage it.

And most important

PAY ATTENTION......When you start feeling a vibration find out what it is and fix it. If you can't diagnose a problem, get on this website and ask. If you had done that last week I can guarantee you that we would have told you to check the u-joints. There's no such thing as a dumb question.

Jim

New u-joints
Check and balance the drive shaft
Ckeck the yoke to make sure you didn't damage it.

And most important

PAY ATTENTION......When you start feeling a vibration find out what it is and fix it. If you can't diagnose a problem, get on this website and ask. If you had done that last week I can guarantee you that we would have told you to check the u-joints. There's no such thing as a dumb question.

Jim

X2 I ask dumb questions all the time, but then I learn that there's usually a smart answer to them :p I wouldn't have made it this far without FABO...

Thank you all for the input, The U-JOINT WAS A PIECE OF **** JAPANESE MADE PART, one of the caps came off the U-JOINT, Was very lucky, Nothing cracked, everything was there sprag was changed bout a year and a half ago, everything was intact, a $20 fix, Got a U-JOINT U.S.A. MADE, from Wabbco autoparts, nothing shaking vibrating at all, Drive shaft was straight, differential is fine, once again VERY LUCKY, took her for a test drive was floating in a good way lol , new front end is rad. I will be sure to stop next time I hear any odd sounds and ask for input from y'all, Next Step is pulling the 225 out and a overhaul,

Thank y'all

MOPAR 4 LIFE :burnout:

P.S. LOL NO NEUTRAL DROPS BTW,

There ya go....nothing like a happy customer.

LOL, Jim

-
Back