driveshaft length question

-

csx452

Reaction score
I have a 72 Dart with a slant 6, 904, and 7 1/4 rear. I plan on swapping in a 360, 904, 8 3/4 rear into it from a 68 Dart I used to have. I may have to do this in steps. That is, swap in the rear and new leaf springs and do the rest later. Will my /6 driveshaft or the driveshaft from the 68 work for this? I'd like to be able to drive the car back and forth to the shop. It's just too busy at my buddies shop and the lot is always super crowded so I don't want to leave it there and chance damage.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Frank

pull them and compare. The 7 1/4 DS is maybe a smidge longer.

I had my shaft shortened and balanced and it ended up at 48 3/4" center to center on the caps. That will give you an idea if you measure yours.

pull them and compare. The 7 1/4 DS is maybe a smidge longer.

I'm hoping to pull it next week. Since the 7 1/4 is a smidge longer, will it still work with the 8 3/4 /6 combo? I might noit be able to swap in the 360 for some time and still want to drive the car while the weather holds out.

So long as the 904 and 7.25 rear stay in place the shaft length is fine. When the 8.75 rear goes in the shaft will need to be shorter.

-
Back