Driveshaft question

-

BJDEALER

Reaction score
Ok i swapped an 8 1/4 rear end into my 66 Barracuda. The car was originally a slant car so it has the original driveshaft. I know it will have to be shortened but the shop i took it to has informed me it cannot be shortened because of the rubber sleeve that is inside. Are they full of Bs?

My drive shaft guy said there is a rubber sleeve in there, but he had no problem shortening and balancing mine. He did say it would be better just to make a new one next time...

Yes do as I did have it converted to a modern U-joint drive shaft and make life easier to handle and enjoy with your car. I did it with mine during the mechanical restoration process and have had no issues what so ever since. Its a simple change to be done by a good driveshaft shop. The old Ball and trunion is hard to find and in todays world obsolete. So Just my opinion keep it simple and if the car is not an original show car make it a easy to work on driver.

65Cudalover

I kept my original driveline and had a New one built when I swapped rears. That way I had the original part in case at some point in the future I ever needed to swap them back...

-
Back