Driveshaft questions

-

bill vaughn

Reaction score
67 dart gt 904 trans B body rear from a 67 coronet rt Have to measure drive shaft Too long How much play should I leave on the trans yoKe and would you happen to know the size of the universal for the new 8 3/4 rear would really make it easy for me if someone knows how much the shaft have to be shortened I think I seen on this forum 1 time that was about 3 and a quarter inches thank you in advance for your help

Which slip yoke you have? 8" long 5" long? to many variables, so do this.....

Take your slip yoke, bottom it out, pull it out 1" if it's really long pull it out 1.5", then measure center of the joint in the slip to the center of the end yoke (the flat part where the strap meets the end yoke)...

Now you take that to your local driveline shop and you're good to go...

and do this with the weight of the car on the wheels and level

Better yet find how your d shaft joint wants you to measure and then do it they way they said. They will know from those measurements how to build your shaft. I have found every place likes to measure there own way. Do you have a shaft now?

Yes with the weight on the wheels, doesn't matter if its level, your measuring a distance.

I make shafts all day that method is best, then you won't have to measure seal to center and out put to center

Thank you very much for your help Picked up drive shaft today Fits perfect The guy I went to Said to just push the trans yoke In all the way then measure to the center of the u joint cap then he takes off an inch or inch and a half depending on the length of the yolk that is also with the weight of the car on the rear

That's the correct way, like i had explained, with the detroit stuff the slip yoke plays a role on how much needs to ride in, other shops will do the other way of measuring and in a race app, with factory suspension you're gonna smash the trans

-
Back