Driveshaft removal

-

Stepper

Reaction score
Tried searching for this but had no luck. So, I apologize if this has been answered....
My FSMs are packed right now and I can't get to them, which is why I bugging you guys.
Last night I started to wrap up prep to pull my 318 out of my 69 dart.
But I need to get the driveshaft out (obviously). I'm removing the trans and engine.

I have the 7 1/4 rear in there right now.
The u joints in there now are the press cap type, not the type with the retainer ring viewable from the outside.
And it doesn't appear that there is anywhere to unbolt the driveshaft from the rear end.

In the past, I've always unbolted the drive shaft from the rear pinion flange and then slid it out from the transmission. I could then service the u joints in a vice. But this driveshaft appears to have been maybe been slid into the trans and then pressed into the rear at some point.

I don't have any fancy hydraulic presses or anything that I could work with under the car.

I'm hoping I'm just not noticing something easy as a resolution to this.

Does anyone know how to get this thing out?

Thanks
Mike

The 7.25 rears had a pair of straps that hold the universal into the yoke, the yoke isn't like more modern rears with the flange. The straps should unbolt (4 total) and the drive shaft will come out then. You shouldnt have to press out any of the caps to get the drive shaft out, I didnt on the 7.25 in mine, just took out the 4 strap bolts (2 per side).

The 7.25 rears had a pair of straps that hold the universal into the yoke, the yoke isn't like more modern rears with the flange. The straps should unbolt (4 total) and the drive shaft will come out then. You shouldnt have to press out any of the caps to get the drive shaft out, I didnt on the 7.25 in mine, just took out the 4 strap bolts (2 per side).

exactly, i cant understand why one would not be able to see them, maybe they are covered in grease. thats why i wanted to see a pic.

" The u joints in there now are the press cap type, not the type with the retainer ring viewable from the outside.
And it doesn't appear that there is anywhere to unbolt the driveshaft from the rear "

Last night I started to wrap up prep to pull my 318 out of my 69 dart.
But I need to get the driveshaft out (obviously). I'm removing the trans and engine.

You could pull the motor and trans and the shaft will just slide out. . .

The u joints in there now are the press cap type, not the type with the retainer ring viewable from the outside.

And it doesn't appear that there is anywhere to unbolt the driveshaft from the rear end.

It's known as INSIDE clips and OUTSIDE clips.

looking at the end yoke on the side there should be 2 bolts at each end with a strap holding the joint cap into the saddle section of the end yoke...

If that is not there then something is wrong and you may be the owner of someones debauchery and retarded idea of holding the caps in.. in which case i'd need pics of the end yoke at both sides to see just what some butcher did

In the past, I've always unbolted the drive shaft from the rear pinion flange and then slid it out from the transmission. I could then service the u joints in a vice. But this driveshaft appears to have been maybe been slid into the trans and then pressed into the rear at some point.

Thanks
Mike

The other issue can be maybe the straps are off, or someone converted the end yoke to u-bolts in which case the nuts will be on the bottom side of the end yoke, or the shaft is entirely to long and you need to pry it out. . . .

Im not there and can't see so im just giving you the could be things i have seen some insanely retarded butchers do in the past. . .

Thanks guys.
When I get back home over the weekend, I'll climb under there again and see if I can't find the bolts you're referring to. I hope I just missed them.

They have to be there either on the front or on the back side of the yoke.

They have to be there either on the front or on the back side of the yoke.
Not necessarily. I bought one car where someone had welded the U-joint caps to the pinion flange! I had to torch it off and replace the flange and seal. It's amazing what some people will do instead of repairing it properly.

Thanks guys. I was able to get the drive shaft out tonight. It was dark in the garage last time and I didn't see the small bolts holding the straps on.
It came out really easily, surprisingly.

Thanks again
Now to pull the engine this weekend and get to some paint stripping : )

-
Back