Driving a long distance in hot weather without AC?!

-
I drive my black on black Signet during the day wrapping a KoolTie around my neck ( Not Tight )
Pennsylvania to Pennsylvania and back to Pennsylvania and you're worried about the heat..

I drive my black on black Signet during the day wrapping a KoolTie around my neck ( Not Tight )
Pennsylvania to Pennsylvania and back to Pennsylvania and you're worried about the heat..

Don't piss off the mrs or she'll help you tighten it! Lol

Geez..."just drive my Fusion"...there's a LOT of people that "just drive Fusions"..don't you want to be a LITTLE different?

I drove my '74 to work and back 150 miles roundtrip for two weeks recently, no AC. It has it, but it needs topped off with R12.

Quick story to further "shame" some of you :mrgreen::

My 60yo+ grandparents drove their '73 Valiant with no AC for 11 years and 140,000 miles. Black vinyl interior. It didn't kill them, in fact my grandmother lived to be 95. Even their dog stood it.

Drive the car and let your daughters/wives drive the Tauruses and Fusions.

So the bottom line is that as long as your moving your fine but sitting in traffic with no ac sucks. I have the sweaty work shirts to prove it. It's not going to kill you though.

I drove the Fusion and enjoyed the ride. My girlfriend and I made the promise to drive the Scamp out next year. Some good suggestions here.
Remember, a '75 does not have vent windows. I enjoy using those in my Road Runner, but no dice in the Scamp.

OK - you can resume busting my balls.....

I drove the Fusion and enjoyed the ride. My girlfriend and I made the promise to drive the Scamp out next year. Some good suggestions here.
Remember, a '75 does not have vent windows. I enjoy using those in my Road Runner, but no dice in the Scamp.

OK - you can resume busting my balls.....

Plan ahead for next year because Carlisle is over now. By then you could put AC in your car and not need any (LMAO) Vagasil.

Don't try the windows open trick. I did when I was around 40 and when we got to the destination we were very dehydrated. Never tried that again. I felt somewhat comfortable during the drive and wasted when we got there. I guess the heat and moving air jusr pulled the moisture out of my body leaving me quite dry

1. Find a car "swamp cooler". These things were more common back in the mid-late 50s. The box is filled with ice and rolled up in a rear window so the intake was out in the air stream.

2. Make a Redneck Refrigeration portable unit. Items needed: plastic ice cooler large enough to hold 1 5 - 8 lb bar of ice. You'll need a blower that can be attached to the underside of the cooler lid. Tubing to get air into the cooler and out of the cooler. You'll also need a cord with a cigarette lighter plug to provide power to the fan. Extend one tube through the lid down into the ice. This is the air inlet so there is no need to run it all the way to the bottom. The detachable lid makes it easy to re-fuel the system. Suggest draining water from chest after two bags of ice

Empty bag of ice into cooler, close cover, plug in fan. Enjoy the cool. The advantage of this system, is that re-charging the refrigeration is easily found a most convenient stores. Treated air outlet can be made more elaborate to suit the individual's need. Courtesy of Costco, O'Reilley's and Lowe's, we paid out less than $20.00 for the hardware.

Got one of these in a Cessna 150. The pilot loves it. He chills as six pack in his cooler while flying. Arrives at destination with beverage of choice at correct temperature. :snakeman:

-
Back