Driving in the rain?

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
My dad is concerned about me installing a hood scoop on my dart because he said it'll allow the engine to get wet in the rain and it could possibly ruin the air cleaner. should i be worried about this at all?

what do other guys with hood scoops do during the rain?

i know the factory scoops had sealed aircleaners so that they wouldn't worry about this, but i won't have one of those.

also, my dart is going to be mainly a daily driver and drag strip some weekends.

I wouldn’t worry about it very much (given your area). As far as an engine getting wet…. The engine in my 93 4Runner looks like new because I pressure wash it and degrease it all the time…. No problems in the years I have had it.

Your air cleaner “could” get wet and/or damaged…. But even this is not a big deal.

Now if you will see regular heavy rain you should look at making some kind of plug or door so you can shut off the scoop.

I made a couple plugs for the Duster. Closed cell foam and
covered them with black duct tape.

100_1241.jpg

100_1242.jpg

The only scoop with which I have had experience is the 440 6 Pak Shaker Hood (1970 'Cuda). As I recall, it was a sealed unit and contained the big filter element inside. The front of the filter area had a sheet metal baffle to keep direct rain spray off the element. The filter box had, I believe, two drain holes with rubber hoses. The filter box was sealed to the hood via big foam rubber gaskets.

I try to avoid driving in the rain at all if I can. But I have got caught coming from shows and rain sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a bit of rain on the air cleaner will not hurt it much. Worse case, it will partially plug the very front of it causing it to suck more air through the sides and rear of the cleaner. As far as everything else getting wet, not a big deal as far as driveability. I live in Seattle and had a 1950 DeSoto with the hood punched full of louvers. We drove it all winter and the engine was plenty wet. Never once had a problem.

I have driven this pup in some pretty nasty terrential downpours with zero issues whatsoever.

Now hydroplaing is a different story, but it seems the engine is not affected by the water.

4-12.jpg

8-6.jpg

I have driven this pup in some pretty nasty terrential downpours with zero issues whatsoever.

Now hydroplaing is a different story, but it seems the engine is not affected by the water.

thanks everyone for the replies. not too worried about it now. i'll only be driving it in the rain when its absolutely necessary anyways.

cudaspaz, is your aircleaner affected at all by the rain? looks like rain would go right into the filter..

If he's worried about the water you better block off the huge hole in the front of the car behind the grill. Water gets sucked into the air cleaner regardless unless you run a labrinth of ducting with water traps. And with a fan behind the radiator slinging water like no ones business. It's not going to bother the car unless you put a funnel on the hood straight into the the carb throat with no filter.

-
Back