Drop base 14 inch Air Cleaner

-

512Stroker

We are all here because we are not all there.
Reaction score
Adding an AirGap manifold has beaten me in the *** for hood clearence and I find myself in need of a drop base that will fit a Edelbrock carb with electric choke.
The drop needs to be close to 1 3/4 deep to make this work.
The Edelbrock drop base is only 1 1/8 deep which is not enough.
Anyone have any experience with this?

can you run a shorter air filter?

theres a chart for height/circumference/hp around here somewhere

chart-jpg.jpg

My recollection is that I've ended up with a K&N drop Base and a curved lid from Speedway. That lid has nice contours, and the wingnut sits low like a factory lid. This means the threaded rod can be cut shorter.
I don't know if that K&N base will work with the Carterbrocks.

Pretty sure the drop base came with this kit. Too tall for the Weiend Intake, but just OK with the LD340.
That top is an issue when its anywhere close to the bowl vents...
upload_2022-3-22_20-22-15.png

upload_2022-3-22_20-26-13.png

I'm pretty sure this will work with an RPM as well. I have one sitting on a shelf to try out...one day....

I have a beautiful spun aluminum drop base filter, with two plus inch drop. I have never used it, cause it fits nothing. It MIGHT work on my competition 750 afb if I put a 90° turndown fitting on the fuel inlet, and cobble up some low hanging throttle linkage. I bet it will not ever work with a 727 kick down cable, or a choke mechanism. And it has SO MUCH drop, you still need a 4" tall filter to get adequate air to the carb, which kinda kills the point of the big drop.
For you, I would look for one specifically designed for a holley. Why? Because the built-in clearance for cathedral holley float bowls can be used sideways to clear the choke on one side, and throttle on the other. Guarantee it will work? Nope.lol.
Edit. The lid on the above mentioned non functional unit looks exactly like the one in Mattax's 2nd pic. It's the lower drop part of the base that's the problem.

Last edited:
Adding an AirGap manifold has beaten me in the *** for hood clearence and I find myself in need of a drop base that will fit a Edelbrock carb with electric choke.
The drop needs to be close to 1 3/4 deep to make this work.
The Edelbrock drop base is only 1 1/8 deep which is not enough.
Anyone have any experience with this?
I ran a Moroso drop base on a Holley Strip Dominator with a 3" filter under a 73 Dart sport hood. The chrome "10 H.P. air cleaner"... Edit: Holley carb.

Last edited:
What model car? I have an airgap on my 68 Barracuda and use the Mancini drop base for the stock HP air cleaner .
Plenty of room . Actually the stock one barely rubbed .

I ran a Moroso drop base with an airgap and an eddy 800 AVS. It fit on my 68 fastback. One of the concerns is the lid gets close to the top of the carb. I made a 90 deg fuel inlet. The kickdown rod rubbed on the base a bit. Rounded the corner on the slotted end. No more rubbing.

I just bought the air cleaner assembly from Mancinis with the drop base. It fits PERFECTLY on my Air gap with an Edlebrock AVS II with electric choke.

IMG_1975.JPG

What model car? I have an airgap on my 68 Barracuda and use the Mancini drop base for the stock HP air cleaner .
Plenty of room . Actually the stock one barely rubbed .
67 Barracuda
What carb are you using?

I just bought the air cleaner assembly from Mancinis with the drop base. It fits PERFECTLY on my Air gap with an Edlebrock AVS II with electric choke.

View attachment 1715894542
Ron I looked at Mancini's site and I could not locate your air cleaner with a drop base, do you have a link to it or a P/N ?
I currently have an Edelbrock drop base with a two inch element and it is touching the thermal pad under the hood.

AC1.jpg

AC2.jpg

Last edited:
I talked to Daren at Mancini's he was VERY HELPFUL. My invoice shows MRE 026 combined with MRE 28150 If you call maybe reference my invoice # 253481 and tell them you want that exact air cleaner??? Yes this is in my 68 Barracuda.

I talked to Daren at Mancini's he was VERY HELPFUL. My invoice shows MRE 026 combined with MRE 28150 If you call maybe reference my invoice # 253481 and tell them you want that exact air cleaner??? Yes this is in my 68 Barracuda.

So leave off the MRE, and just use the numbers gets you the air cleaner assembly and drop base. Did you get the pie tin and wing nut from them also?

This is what I'm thinking of for a project of mine...
20220325_225714.jpg

I've had problems with a drop base not flowing enough air and pulling fuel from the vents. But this will flow all the air needed.

This is what I'm thinking of for a project of mine...
View attachment 1715895745

I've had problems with a drop base not flowing enough air and pulling fuel from the vents. But this will flow all the air needed.
Funny thing is, engine masters test of aircleaners tested your exact setup. It made more power with the side filter taped off, just flowing through the top plate.

-
Back