drop spindle disk brake help

-

72_dart

Reaction score
So I decided to assemble my front brakes to make sure that I would have the proper clearance. The caliper just doesn't look right to me. The bleeder looks almost parallel to the ground so I reassembled it using the other caliper bracket. It looks almost the same. Does it look like I have something wrong?
Thanks

Attachments

• 2014-04-25 20.11.03.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 2014-04-25 20.13.07.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 167
That is as close to the top as you'll get that bleeder. It should work fine but if you don't trust it to bleed every little bubble out, jack the front end up.

Before you install the caliper on the bracket, hook up the brake line, put a block of wood in the caliper piston opening so it can't push the piston out too far and bleed it.

Ok so should the caliper be in the front? The other thing that I was wondering is there going to be enough room for the ball joint? I thought that the caliper should be on the back side. Also which way is the correct way for the caliper bracket?

I was starting to think that I had the wrong caliper brackets. When I first put everything together I noticed that the caliper wasn't sitting flat on the bracket. I noticed it was because the bracket wasnt sitting flat on the spindle. When I called the place I got it from they passed me to 4 different people then the last guy said to grind the bracket. Is this what everyone else is doing when they use drop spindles?

Attachments

• 20140425_211630.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 158
I was starting to think that I had the wrong caliper brackets. When I first put everything together I noticed that the caliper wasn't sitting flat on the bracket. I noticed it was because the bracket wasnt sitting flat on the spindle. When I called the place I got it from they passed me to 4 different people then the last guy said to grind the bracket. Is this what everyone else is doing when they use drop spindles?

Now that sounds like a place that knows how to build a front end. Something is wrong if the caliper is cocked on the spindle bracket, try getting to someone in the company that knows what the heck he's talking about. I used a c clamp to hold the piston in and bled it off the spindle, it worked great!

If they don't build their drop spindles to fit with the caliper bracket I would send them back and find another supplier.

From what I understand there is only one place making drop spindles (without getting into the rack and pinion setups) which is why it made me wonder. I got everything to sit flat and straight. I just didn't hear of anyone else having the same issue. If its the wrong bracket then maybe the correct one will allow the caliper to set with the bleeder pointed a little more upward

I got them from Preformance On Line (POL they advertise in the back of the mopar magazines). The spindles are made by Magnum Force. I don't know who made the caliper brackets. I just found it strange that I had to grind so much out of the caliper brackets to get them to sit flat on the spindle

I have Magnum Force drop spindles and they have a machined area on the back side where the bracket mounting bosses contact the spindle. I've got pin type calipers and brackets and they fit fine. Yours appear to be slider type, so, maybe that's the problem.

Thanks mcode
After looking online at some pictures of the pin type that is what I should have used. To tell the truth I didn't know that there were 2 different kinds of calipers. I finally got everything I have to set flat so I don't think I'll have a problem.

-
Back