Dropping a Gas Tank

-

roosduster

Colorado Mopar
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone who has dropped a gas tank before would have any suggestions on how to do it and what all you need to do it. I have a 1973 Plymouth Duster and am going to make some change but have never done anything like this before and would like a little advice.

Thanks

Seth

i found the easy way for me was to make sure it was near empty yes because then it was light and wouldnt leak all over me..

put a jack under the tank.. undo the screws for the filler tube and make sure that moves freely, disconnect the fuel sender undo the tank strap/s and awaaay you go.. i suggest once its off filter what gas you have in there into something like a rred can and wash out your tank.. let it dry out thouroly and put your filtered gas back in and now your good as gold.. i went as far as to change the sock on my tanks pick up sender..

but now i had to change the whole tank back when i removed the tank for trunk work thats what i did also.

Cerwin said:
i found the easy way for me was to make sure it was near empty yes because then it was light and wouldnt leak all over me..

put a jack under the tank.. undo the screws for the filler tube and make sure that moves freely, disconnect the fuel sender undo the tank strap/s and awaaay you go.. i suggest once its off filter what gas you have in there into something like a rred can and wash out your tank.. let it dry out thouroly and put your filtered gas back in and now your good as gold.. i went as far as to change the sock on my tanks pick up sender..

but now i had to change the whole tank back when i removed the tank for trunk work thats what i did also.

Thanks, I was going to try to have it completely empty before i dropped it. so did you just wash your tank out with water or are there any special fluid to wash it out with?

Making sure it's nearly empty and using a floor jack, as recommended previously, is the best way. One other thing, you'll need to remove the 3 filler neck screws underneath your gas cap to aid in removal. More than likely your fuel sock strainer will be bad. I was unable to find the factory strainer, so I went down to the Ford dealer and bought one for a Ford factory tank with a 5/16" pickup. My Mopar runs fine and doesn't know the difference. I was able to get the sending unit gasket from Mopar for cheap. After you inspect your tank for rust ( and assuming it's not bad) you probably will need to rinse it out real good to get all the sediment out. Radiator shops will do this for you or you can do it yourself. When reinstalling the tank, I reused the gasket in the top of my tank where the filler neck inserts. That's your call, so far as the condition of the gasket. Either way, put some vaseline on on the filler neck gasket and tube and it will go in a bunch easier than if dry.

roosduster said:
Thanks, I was going to try to have it completely empty before i dropped it. so did you just wash your tank out with water or are there any special fluid to wash it out with?

im sure theres is a special wash for the tank and im sure its really exspensive so i would just use warm soapy water and just be careful of the fumes.

Cerwin

-
Back