Dropping the engine out the bottem.

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
I have a friend I can borrow a stand from he made just for this but I have never done it myself. Could someone walk me through this? I don't even know what bolts I need to take off. Do I hook the engine hoist to my bumper to lift the car or is there a better place?

I plan to learn on my 74 Duster (340 out and 318 in), but I need to pull the slant out of our 66 also and put the 340 in.

Has anyone ever done this before? Pros? Cons?
Pics would help immensly!

Is this preferable over pulling it out the top for some reason?

I just pulled my 318/904 out of my 71 as an assembly, and didn't even have to take the hood off. Seems like it was a lot easier than disassembling the entire front suspension.

Steve

I've done this at home using a winch mounted to the cieling of my garage .
I first mounted an 8' piece of 6-8" wide channel steel to the cieling with lag bolts and fabricated support posts out of 4"x4"'s. I also made a rolling dolly for the motor ,k-frame and trany. It really makes for a clean and quick install.

there is a guy on here who did it on his green dart. he posted pictures of what it looked like just before he lowered the car on his k member. I thought it was Johnnydart but i may be wrong. im sure if you search a little you may find the pictures.

Here you go i found the picture on here. Hope he doesn't mind!

Not to knock on the dutch brothers stuff but this lift can be easily made as you can see.

The dutch bros stuff looks very nice and i herd works very well but if your on a budget this maybe the way to go.

faucet pics 572.jpg

yep, that's the way to do it !

I've also used the lift in our service dept.

If you are simply replacing it, I'd go out the top carefully. Going out the bottom clears the inner wells easy. But you still have to get it all apart, and you will need to align the car after. I've done it both ways. On a"fresh assembly" meaning resto or building the whole car, bottom is better. On a car that has some miles or you are simply doing swaps... I wouldnt bother.

That looks like a better way of doing it.I would have never thought of put the motor and trans in that way.Maybe i should do that when i get mine painted.What kind of steps invovled in doing it that way,since i have never done this before either.Thanks

There is plenty of reasons to do it like that. But If you are just doing a quick swap with no headers or anything I'd just do it the traditional way. Over the top.

Headers are always involved. Lol.

I have probably pulled and installed 20 engines, but I have never done it through the bottom. I have heard that it is an easier and cleaner install. If I get good at it, it might be quicker also.

I was unaware that I had to realign it. I assumed that you dropped the k-frame, spindels and everything as a unit, but I don't know, that's why I am asking.

Letsee, tranny lines, driveshaft, tranny mount, Wiring, fuel line, radiator hoses and clutch fan, disconnect steering column. What am I missing? How does the K-frame connect?

Anyone know how this is done?

I know a few people do it that way, but why? There are alot more things to remove and replace than the over the top. I really don't want to disconnect steering, torsion bars, brake lines, drop the k-member and on and on. Out the top just requires a little more care not to scratch the paint. To each his own.

Only downside to this is if the K frame bolts are rusted fast. Other than that, its gotta be easier because of the headers.

when you are redoing an entire car it makes it easier and you don't scratch things up. This is how the factory assembled them.
I would agree that in some cases it is easier to go in from the top. With my 340 and w2 big tube headers I had no choice but to go in from the bottom.

when you are redoing an entire car it makes it easier and you don't scratch things up. This is how the factory assembled them.
I would agree that in some cases it is easier to go in from the top. With my 340 and w2 big tube headers I had no choice but to go in from the bottom.

I used a chain bolted to where the bumper would bolt onto the frame. I also have removed my Hemi motor in the same way. Engine, trans, headers....

100_0438.jpg

-
Back