Drove it for the first time today.....

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
...and I must say I am having mixed feelings.....

I admit I am a bit spoiled in my 97 Ram. Torquey V8, smooth idle, smooth shifting 5 speed. Brakes are straight and true. Window crank is clocked properly as not to implale my knee while crusing....

Maybe I am used to V8 engine. This one moves the vehicle OK, but sounds forever to me like a wheezing school bus....and it rides and shifts and brakes like one too.

I know, I know, they are not in the same generation. But man this thing is positively archaic!

--Seat support is non existant, other then the fact that it wants to lean to the outside, so it makes getting out easy, as it almost ejects you upon opening the door.
--Manual steering with a steering wheel the size of the equator, 4 wheel drum brakes that PULL to the left, not to mention what feels like out of round drums, plus the rattle that eminates from under the passenger dash, and the groan from the clutch pedal during engage and disengage.
--The clutch rattles when the pedal is all the way out, and slips during power shifts, and the exhaust is literally clothes hangered to the frame, rubbing and grinding a happy tune.
--At least the exhaust is complete, and runs out the back so I am not smelling fumes, as I could not handle that AND the smell of the compost from the un-serviceable cowl area...sheees.
--The AM radio does not work, but the hum from the rear end, plus the dual exhaust with 12 INCH glasspacks on a /6 was music enough?

I guess this is more of a diatribe to age. I barely noticed this stuff when I was younger and drove these vehicles daily. Now I notice when a semi 1/2 a mile ahead changes lanes, because it changes the airflow around the car, and the car tries to change lanes by itself.

We will see how the rest of the day goes. Lunch, and ride home should be interesting.....:cheers:

Lunch was better. Brakes were better, still pull, but not as bad. Seat is still crooked as hell, but didn't bother me as much. Carb still needs rebuilt. Idles like a dream, but accelerator pump is out, so it takes some RPMs to get up to speed.

Side note. First time you open the vents under the dash, wear glasses, or a face mask, or a Tyvek suit. Holy hell, those things were full of crap. I am sure the truckload of construction guys got a kick out of me hanging my head out the window, spitting out tree seeds, dust and all other associated matter. Yuk. However, the vents will come in handy as temperatures rise. They guarantee my shnuts will be plenty cool, even in the warmest weather.#-o

I missed some of the discussion. What did you drive for the first time today?

This is what I drove to work for the first time...

Picture062.jpg

Lunch was better. Brakes were better, still pull, but not as bad. Seat is still crooked as hell, but didn't bother me as much. Carb still needs rebuilt. Idles like a dream, but accelerator pump is out, so it takes some RPMs to get up to speed.

Side note. First time you open the vents under the dash, wear glasses, or a face mask, or a Tyvek suit. Holy hell, those things were full of crap. I am sure the truckload of construction guys got a kick out of me hanging my head out the window, spitting out tree seeds, dust and all other associated matter. Yuk. However, the vents will come in handy as temperatures rise. They guarantee my shnuts will be plenty cool, even in the warmest weather.#-o

Congrats on the driver, don't worry it's like riding a bike, you'll get used to it.
I've been driving my /6 duster since thanksgiving, and it was an adventure the first time out, shoot even had to push it out of traffic yesterday when my hei went out.. while some say you can't go home again, I say that the journey is more important than the destination.

:bootysha:

:D

Lol! Like Player1 says, it's not the destination, it's the journey. It looks like a nice car. I would think that most of your present problems can be at least partially resolved.

1. Shop vac the vents
2. Have the present seats re-stuffed or buy some new ones from Summit
3. Drop in a V-8 for pete's sake (the slant guys will come after me for that comment)
4. Fix your front end.
5. Lube the clutch pedal pivot. My '97 Dakota would do that to. Use synthetic grease.
6. Get those damn 12' glasspacks off. You'd probably lose 100 to 150 lbs! lol.

I think you get my point though :) Every time you resolve some little problem, you'll feel better about the car and yourself.

Have fun! :cheers:

:withstup:

Now that brought back some memories. Even better than opening those vents yourself, take a long one of your Mopar buddies for the first road trip. Went out to Pamona a couple of years ago to see the nostalgia drags. We were bombing along keeping up with traffic (about 80) and my friend who was wearing shorts decided he was too hot and it was time to open the vent....POOF!!! All those dried crumbly leaves, seeds, and other "stuff" came rocketing out of the vent and packed his shorts. I about drove off the road laughing. He was picking leaves out of his shorts for the rest of the day.

Congrats on your first "daily" drive. I drive mine to work everyday in Los Angeles. Although any day can turn into an adventure, I appreciate how lucky I am to be able to drive a old car along the beach to work.

When I drive mine to work.....
Leave late - .508 cam in 340 has enuff sound pressure to wake up neighbors. 5 minute lumpy idle warm-up is best for ThermoBog.
Get noticed by everybody, esp cops directing traffic in the 2 school zones that I travel thru. (Yes, I am friends with both of them)
Young kids want me to rev it up!
Notice the car leans more around curves than daily driver but the disc brakes still work great.
AM radio (all 2 watts of it) spits out the traffic report. Ain't no 460 watt system! Sounds more like a tin can on a string but who cares. The car makes it's own beautiful music.
The best part is getting on the interstate. Old ramp that is a 90 degree bend to right and a short merge lane. Secondaries try to suck hood in while a beautiful wail eminates from upfront. Just like the Dukes Of Hazard!!
Notice that it won't shift into overdrive about 80 because there is none!!
Thumbs up from a lot of people as they blast past me while I park in the right lane at 60 due to no overdrive. It is fun to kick it down going under bridges!
Can't sneak in quietly cause boss can hear car 1/2 mile away.
Have to suffer thru looking out thru window at car that is parked 10 foot away and it is calling me.
Leave work early cause I can't stand looking at car. Decide to take the long way home until I realize that if I do, I will have to take the longest way home--the one that takes me past the bank so I can float a loan for gas money!!!
The best part is when I hit one stretch of road and nail it about 50 and it drop down into 2nd gear and pulls like a freight train, chirps 3rd gear and starts over.......and the fuel gauge never recovers.
Idle it into neighborhood, around corner and into garage and listen to it cackle for a minute before shutting it down.
Grab a Dew out of the fridge, sit down in the canvas chair just outside the garage and listen to the tinkling as the exhaust system cools down.
All is well with the world-for now.

1. Shop vac the vents
2. Have the present seats re-stuffed or buy some new ones from Summit
3. Drop in a V-8 for pete's sake (the slant guys will come after me for that comment)
4. Fix your front end.
5. Lube the clutch pedal pivot. My '97 Dakota would do that to. Use synthetic grease.
6. Get those damn 12' glasspacks off. You'd probably lose 100 to 150 lbs! lol.

I think you get my point though :) Every time you resolve some little problem, you'll feel better about the car and yourself.

Have fun! :cheers:
1. Too late, it is all over the freshly vacuumed carpet.
2. Eventually. I am relearning The lean. (Damn I hope the door latch holds...
3. Nope, not yet. Dilusions of Turbos abound in my head....stock for now...
4. Adjusting the brakes tonight.
5. On the to do list.....WD 40 is my friend....
6. "Honey, the exhaust is rusting on the Dart" " I need to take it to the Muffler shop"

Leave late - .508 cam in 340 has enuff sound pressure to wake up neighbors. 5 minute lumpy idle warm-up is best for ThermoBog.
Get noticed by everybody, esp cops directing traffic in the 2 school zones that I travel thru. (Yes, I am friends with both of them)
Notice the car leans more around curves than daily driver but the disc brakes still work great.
AM radio (all 2 watts of it) spits out the traffic report. Ain't no 460 watt system! Sounds more like a tin can on a string but who cares. The car makes it's own beautiful music.
The best part is getting on the interstate. Old ramp that is a 90 degree bend to right and a short merge lane. Secondaries try to suck hood in while a beautiful wail eminates from upfront. Just like the Dukes Of Hazard!!
Thumbs up from a lot of people as they blast past me while I park in the right lane at 60 due to no overdrive. It is fun to kick it down going under bridges!
Have to suffer thru looking out thru window at car that is parked 10 foot away and it is calling me.
Leave work early cause I can't stand looking at car. Decide to take the long way home until I realize that if I do, I will have to take the longest way home--the one that takes me past the bank so I can float a loan for gas money!!!
The best part is when I hit one stretch of road and nail it about 50 and it drop down into 2nd gear and pulls like a freight train, chirps 3rd gear and starts over.......and the fuel gauge never recovers.
Idle it into neighborhood, around corner and into garage and listen to it cackle for a minute before shutting it down.
Grab a Dew out of the fridge, sit down in the canvas chair just outside the garage and listen to the tinkling as the exhaust system cools down.

Sounds good to me!

damit!!! i need bigger speakers on my PC ooo and that's my new startup sound bite. :thumrigh: , the guys in the office will be like prarrie dogs.

Sounds about right with my '68 Newport 'cept I have to worry about if I am going to get stranded because of electrical issues. Thats happened more then once. But hey I love every second of it.

Take it to the muffler shop & have the glasspacks cut off. & in place of them, run straight pipe!! Then you will truely be able to "enjoy the music"!!

Drive home was not too bad. With my highway traffic, 2nd gear has the perfect ratio for the crawl of 25mph. Engine was in a perfectly happy spot, RPM was perfect.

Brakes need more adjustment. I need to get the front drums biting equally, at that point I will be comforable. Right now, not so much. I was right, the cool air vents kept my crotch perfectly cool....

So the next process
--is to get the front brakes equally adjusted, recheck the rear for accuracy.
--After that, carb rebuild, so I can have an accelerator pump.
--Next is driveshaft out to check U joints. I think there is a problem there, vibrations at 55 mph.
--Finally, Fluid change in both trans, and rear end.....

I plan to do this Saturday, so maybe I can drive again on Monday.....

-
Back