Drum brake nightmare 10"rear

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
I cant seem to win tonight. Bought what i thought was everything to replace the 10" rear brakes on my 8 3/4 i just put in my 70 swinger. Come to find out the new shoes dont have the pin pressed in them that the adjuster lever rides on with lever spring. Problem is i knock out the old one and the holes in the new shoes are too big for the stud. Any ideas besides tack welding them on the back of the shoe??

Also found out that last time someone did these brakes they removed the parking brake parts. So im happy i saved my parking brake lever and strut before selling my old 7 1/4. BUT then i also find out when i go to assemble the brakes the spring kit didnt come with the overload spring, lever spring, or the anti rattle spring. So i will order the overload spring and lever spring from rock auto but is there anywhere to get the anti-rattle springs?? I didnt save them from my 7 1/4. Thanks for any info
Mark

What I did is went to autozone and bought a brake hardware kit20$ and two brake adjusters kits 10$ ea it was more easier then to deal with what ur doing and new

I bought a spring kit from a local auto parts store but it still didnt have all the parts needed. I can get the rest of the parts from rockauto but cant seem to find any kits at all that have the anti rattle spring. Did your kit have that spring??

I picked up anti rattle springs at local NAPA and take your strut with you so you can you can size it.

Well either autozone is better in cali or else the guys here just cant get me the right kit lol. I ordered them from napa today that is the only place that had them at all, and ordered the adjuster kit off rockauto since i cant work on it until next week anyways. Now the fun to get that pin/stud to work on my pads for the adjuster. thanks for the info guys

There are 3 kits that are needed to get all the springs for the drum brakes.....1 is a "MAXI PACK" and contains the return springs and hold down springs for both sides.

You will also need 2 "adjuster kits" 1 for each side. They are left and right specific.

They have the adjuster wheel, cable and any other springs not included in the maxipack.

The shoes should come with the dowel pins.

Where has everyone bought the shoes with the dowels already installed?? I tried to weld in the dowl and then found out that hole is about 3/8" off where it should be anyways. Otherwise the shoes were identical to what was on the car. I would have never even wasted my time but had already ripped up the box and threw it away so i cant return them anyways.

Pick a part or actually I have some shoes left over pm me for more info I don't need them anymore

thanks for the offer but i would like a brand new set. I had two sets in decent shape but afraid of what they might be made of so i tossed them this week,

If you know or have an idea of what the ones you need look like just go to the auto store and start naming cars like.. dart,demon,duster,belvedare,dodge truck etc they all would work its just the size needs toatch the drum and backing plate......

I reused some shoes from a rear end I purchased they worked just fine.
If you still can't find em you can have mine just pay shipping ill send pics to you first to see if they will work

Use this as a lesson.
You don't get rid of the old parts until the new ones are matched up and installed! On new parts you don't mess up the packing or throw away the receipt until the new part is matched up and installed. On used parts you don't toss out the old or dispose of packing & receipts until the replacement part is matched up and installed...
It doesn't matter whether we are talking about brake shoes or fenders...
C

-
Back