Drum removal question

-

72smallairparticler

Reaction score
Probably dumb question but after searching couldnt find anywhere which direction the adjuster should be turned with my flatblat screwdriver. This is for a 9" front driver side drum. Before disassembly the drum was seizing on very light pressure. Manual stock drum brakes.

Do I insert it down and rotate it upwards in the same way a bolt would need to be turned to get it to rotate away (lefty losey rule) ? It's stubborn and doesn't want to rotate much right now so gonna soak it in PB blaster for the day before I get a chance to try again tonight

if it clicks you are tightening it. To loosen rotate in the opposite direction. you will need to displace the adjuster lock to do this

On a left side, you pry the adjuster wheel teeth down while you release the adjuster pawl to loosen the adjuster.

You have to hold the self adjust off the star wheel to get it to loosen.

If you would only get a factory service manual, it is outlined very well there. So many other things in there that are helpful, too.

On a left side, you pry the adjuster wheel teeth down while you release the adjuster pawl to loosen the adjuster.
Thanks Cudamark, i'll give that a shot.
Truthfully I read the factory Haynes manual - it shows a single access hole example. The diagram size for the drum is small, doesn't show release direction of lever or direction to rotate to release the adjuster, so it's not super helpful.

Even with a super bright shop lamp up close and my wheel turned to lock for some visibility its tough to see inside the access holes at the parts so im going off of feel mostly. I'm sure when I get some time with it later i'll figure it.

If you have a regular brake adjustment spoon, that helps a bit. Otherwise, a screwdriver will work. I use both...a long shaft tiny screwdriver to push the pawl away from the teeth on the adjuster, and the brake spoon or bigger screwdriver to turn the star wheel. Sometimes it helps to hold your tongue a certain way! :lol:

Thanks Cudamark, i'll give that a shot.
Truthfully I read the factory Haynes manual - it shows a single access hole example. The diagram size for the drum is small, doesn't show release direction of lever or direction to rotate to release the adjuster, so it's not super helpful.

Even with a super bright shop lamp up close and my wheel turned to lock for some visibility its tough to see inside the access holes at the parts so im going off of feel mostly. I'm sure when I get some time with it later i'll figure it.
Haynes is not the factory manual, but one produced for the average car owner. There were some things about the Haynes manuals that I liked, but the FSM has detailed info about every system in the car.

-
Back