drum to backing plate interference ??

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
Hey All,

I just installed Yukon axles with green bearings in my 8.75 rear. I also have 11" brakes for it.

The lip of the outter edge of the backing plate seems to be making contact with the corresponding groove in the drum and it makes a scraping noise when I turn the drum by hand on either side.

It is like the drum isn't quite making contact with the axle face. If it isn't, it is very close. I don't have any lug nuts yet (old ones are too small) so I can't try snugging it up and I am just holding the drum on by hand.

Anyone ever experience this?

Thanks,

CE

Did you put the backing plates on before the axles and retaining rings?

Well I found the problem.

It dawned on me that I have an old used pair of 11" drums out there. So I got 'em and they fit perfectly. No scraping, and they sat flush against the axle face.

So I measured them. From the rear edge of the drum to the front face of the drum the old used drums (ones that fit) measured 4.495. The new drums (ones that don't fit) only measured 4.390. There is about .100 difference between them. You can see the gap on the calipers on the new drum.

Also the cooling fins go about a half inch higher on the old drums. I guess I have to figure out what the heck these old drums came from and get a new pair. How in the world am I going to figure this out!!??

Attachments

• drums1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 175
  • drums2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 175
  • drums3.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 152
Yes I did. But honestly (and I swear I'm not trying to be a wisea$$ here) how could you possibly put the backing plate on after the axle?

I'm not sure how it would be possible. Unless you put the backing plates on the axle before you pressed the bearing on. Was just asking to make sure.

If the drums clear OK on the axle end, and don't hit the brakes on the outer side of the shoes, see if you can find a "cooperative" person to turn the drum lips off on the inner side.

I could do that but shipping would be killer

(I have a drum / disc lathe as well as a metal cutting lathe)

-
Back