drum to disc conversion

-

greg

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question...I've got a 1968 Dart that was a slant 6 with drums on the front. I've got upper control arms, calipers and spindles out of a 1973 Dart but I'm finding that by the time I buy all the other parts I need it's a lot of money. I think it would be almost cheaper to by a complete aftermarket kit. Any comments?

the only other things you would need is pads, flex hoses rotors and a new master cylinder. it pays to shop around. have you checked rockauto.com? there prices are unbeatable if you don't mind waiting a few extra days and your not in a rush

And rotor's. I buy from here for all my regular part's.

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/

Prices are unreal. I got both headlight's with bulb's for my 92 GM pickup,$65!!! Lordco wanted $180 just for headlight's,no bulb's and I'm sure the bulb's would have cost another $80-90 knowing Lordco.

I also have a complete M body front brake system sitting here if you want. Both sides with rotor's caliper's pads spindles etc etc for $120 plus shipping.

Do you mean, If I do a conversion, I have to change my master cylinder too?

Hey guys, quick question...I've got a 1968 Dart that was a slant 6 with drums on the front. I've got upper control arms, calipers and spindles out of a 1973 Dart but I'm finding that by the time I buy all the other parts I need it's a lot of money. I think it would be almost cheaper to by a complete aftermarket kit. Any comments?

not sure there is really a cheap way of doing it unless you get a really good deal on used parts.

Do you mean, If I do a conversion, I have to change my master cylinder too?

YES!!!! Without the right master cylinder braking pedal effort will be very hard,very little or some other issue. Disc brakes need more fluid VOLUME,there fore a disc brake master has a larger bore. Drum brakes need pressure and have a master with a smaller bore.

Now we arent talking a huge difference in bore size,maybe 1/16". But it sure makes a difference.

You'll also need ALL of the underhood brake lines and the distribution block. Drum brakes used a simple four connection Tee. The 73 disk brake system used an integrated distribution/proportioning valve that has five connections (2 to master cylinder, 1 to each front wheel, 1 to rear wheels).

The conversion is not difficult, but the devil is in the details. Be safe.

..you can use your drum master cylinder.
..as the pads wear you use a bit more fluid in the disc reservoir so check it ocassionaly.

-
Back